Chapter 3

^^ Joey Hamhuis

Chapter 3

Present Day

Scarlett's POV:

A bucket of cold water was thrown into my face and I sat up in a flash coughing out the water.

"What the fuck!?" I yelled trying to clear out my eyes. Someone tossed the bucket next to me and bent down in front of me.

Once I cleared my eyes I looked up into the entrancing emerald eyes. My nerves tingled and my stomach tightened as I stared into these orbs.

He looked back at me and murmured the one word I was thinking:

"Mate."

Back to Six Years Ago...

Scarlett's POV:

"Happy birthday Scarlett!" Becky shouted whilst jumping on my bed. I groaned and looked at the clock that read eleven in the morning.

"Becky...it's my birthday, let me sleep until two!" I whined.

"I can't! Don't you want to see if your mate is in this pack!? Maybe it is Joey," she said excitedly and I shook my head.

"Never. He is too hot to be my mate." I muffled into the pillow. She sighed and shook her head.

"It is more like you are too beautiful to be his. Now get up!" She ordered throwing back my covers. I got up shoving on a pair of shorts and a hoodie and walking downstairs.

I passed by numerous boys and I thanked the Gods as none of them were my mate.

"So far so good." I muttered to Becky as she laughed. She bounced into the kitchen as Kayla was watching Joey make food. Aside from the food smelling amazing. There was another scent that hit me like a truck.

I felt Becky's stare on me as I eyed Joey.

"Shouldn't the mating sense be stronger?" I whispered.

"I don't-" she was cut off by Joey turning to me a large smile on his face.

"Scarlett, happy birthday." He said honestly. Kayla looked between me and him and she scoffed storming out of the room.

"H-hi Joey...thanks." I mumbled.

Becky pushed my back supportively.

"Why don't you two go for a walk?" She suggested and he nodded taking off the food and turning to me.

He took my hand and I felt tiny shocks of nerves go through my hand. He led me outside and we walked along the path to the woods.

"So Scarlett there is one thing I have to say..." He said and my heart began to pump through my chest.

"Yes?" I squeaked.

"I don't want to mark you right yet because you are still a little young. Is it okay if we wait?" He asked sincerely and I smiled. He was willing to wait for me?

"You are willing to wait?" I asked happily.

"Uh-yea...yea! Of course I am." He said scratching the back of his neck.

"Oh Joey I am so happy! I dreamed to the Gods for this to happen! I never thought it actually would!" I exclaimed and he laughed.

"I know right? Who would have thought. Scarlett and Joey?" He teased and my laugh faltered.

"W-what is that supposed to mean?" I asked looking around. My heart began to speed up again.

"Oh you know, everyone thought Kayla and I would be mates. She is beautiful, strong, feminine-" He said and I cut him off.

"I'm not feminine?" I asked and his eyes bulged out.

"No, no, no baby I didn't mean anything like that! I just mean you do track and everything and you are a lot stronger and..." He rambled on and I looked away sadly. He grabbed my shoulders and crushed his lips to mine suddenly and I stood frozen as he moved his mouth against mine. I always imagined saving my first kiss for my mate so I instinctively moved my mouth against his until he finally pulled back.

"Oh...wow." I said breathlessly and he smirked.

"Good right? I thought so." He smirked confidently. He took my hand and led me back to the house although I stared at the ground sadly.

I wasn't feminine...