Chapter 27

Scarlett:

Both Zero and I ran downstairs into the basement. I pushed my messy hair out of my face as I looked at the kids on the floor. They were all watching YouTube videos and laughing their tiny heads off.

"What's wrong?" Thalia asked catching my eye.

"Just checking to make sure everything is okay." I assured.

"It's great mom. We are watching videos and then we are going to watch a movie." Thalia said smiling brightly.

I walked back upstairs with Zero and he shut the door.

"My Gods..." He whispered.

"What's wrong?"

"Jaxon likes her." He said.

"How do you know that?" I asked while placing my hands on my hips.

"You didn't see the way he was staring at her while she was talking? All love."

"What should we do?" I asked.

"I don't know. In grade six I was playing football and video games. I wasn't looking at girls like that!" He said.

"Really? Zero Hale wasn't involved with girls? I heard that you were a fuckboy since the ripe age of six." I teased.

"Oh yea, six year old me with my Scooby-Doo snacks, Allen's apple juice and everything."

"It's always the innocent ones. He is so cute, what if he breaks her heart?" I pouted.

"She's twelve." Someone said, we both glanced over at Leon who was eating a bag of chips.

"She is not twelve until tomorrow." I stated.

"Fuck off, they will date for maybe three recesses and then break up. They will go as far as hugging. Poor girl doesn't even understand that the kid likes her." He explained.

"Oh and how would you know this?" I asked curiously.

"I have a daughter." He shrugged and my eyes popped out of his head.

"You? You have a daughter?"

"Yep. Fifteen, I adopted her five years ago." He explained.

"Where is she?" I asked.

"She is with my aunt and my father." Zero said.

"My mom and your dad." He grinned.

"She is growing up too fast, I don't like this." I said looking back at Luke.

"It goes by in a blink of an eye, Scar." Leon said.

We stayed downstairs for a while, listening to the three of them laugh and talk in the basement. It hit me hard that Thalia will be twelve years old. Next year she will be thirteen. I sighed heavily and held my hair out of my face. Zero reached over and placed his hand on top of mine.

"Don't stress so much, Scar. I know it sucks, she still is only twelve." He said.

"I miss the days where it was just us and she relied on me for everything. She looked to me for questions, she looked to me to play with her and to do everything with her. It's just not the same anymore..." I sighed while staring at a blank space on the wall.

"Hey, you raised a pretty good kid on your own. She's gorgeous, smart, funny and caring." He said to me and I smiled happily.

"I did do a good job, didn't I?" I smiled.

"One of the best moms I know." He said reaching across and kissing my forehead gently.

"You're so sweet." I teased reaching over and pinching his cheeks. He laughed and pulled me into his chest and I hugged him tightly.