Fallen Staircase

Henri Cole^^

The mall was bustling with people of all creations. So Juneau didn't really stand out with her school uniform and overloaded backpack.

Inside the stuffy over heated mall, teenagers walked past with summer apparel.

Children walked hand-in-hand with their bags of candy and pretzels. What happened to parental love?

Peering downstairs, you could see that Santa's chair was empty. A gigantic Christmas tree towered behind. Because of the multiple light sources, there were shadows of warped Douglas firs casted all around in nearly all shades.

Large garments and ribbons loomed from above on the ceilings, gigantic donuts of green and sprinkles of ornaments sparkling joy to those down below.

Juneau could tell she was near the cafe as scents of green tea lattes sneaked their way through the air, victimizing all human beings alike.

Juneau sighed to a stop as she then approached the cafe.

The Green tea cafe was busy as usual.

A line extruded from the door of the second floor shop and winded into the mall's not-so-wide-walkway.

Juneau's phone rang.

"Hey, Juneau," Henri said. She could hear talk and laughter in the background. "You don't have to come anymore because I'm home with a cold. I'm sorry. You can visit me, but I'm gonna go to the pharmacy for medicine soon."

The night had brought him disguised coal, perhaps.

But Juneau already knew.

She already knew that Henri was inside of the cafe with Bonnette Child.

"Ok," she said. "Well I hope you get better, because eating green tea ice cream this time of day isn't going to help." At this, Henri's face became confused. He looked stupidly around the cafe. "Oh, and another thing: tell Bonnette I said 'hi'."

Through the glass wall, Juneau watched as Henri abruptly stood. His chair fell back which then tripped a poor lady who wore high heels and a pencil skirt. Gasps could be heard from within the shop and in the long winding line as the skirt rrripped.

"Look at what you did, Henri," Juneau said with mock disappointment. She then hung up.

"You pervert!" The victimed lady screamed; and Henri shrieked in return as a quite elegant studded Betsey Johnson tote bag signed a non-peace treaty with his face.

Wham!

~~~

It wasn't because of Henri's actions she was stressed and angry. It was just the day's events... along with saying "yes" to Henri.

She hurried out of the mall and to home.

"Juneau, I'm sorry!"

Henri ran after her.

"Juneau, wait!"

Frustration, stress, impatience, self disappointment, all together performed a symphony to taunt her heart further.