Round 1

It was the second Saturday of the month.

The second Saturday of November.

And the first school board meeting since the final week of October.

"Cassandra's here, Adaleine's here, Junior's here... Cate?" Juneau role-called as they waited outside of the conference room.

"Present," Cate called from beside the snack bar.

"Get over here!" Adaleine squeaked.

"Calm down, Lynnie," Cate joined them and lightly ruffled Adaleine's carefully styled bun.

The student council was dressed in tip-top shape with their business attire.

"Raylor?"

"Here, prez," Raylor replied with his overly pubic voice.

"Have a glass of water, dear friend," Cassandra pleaded. She left for the snack bar.

"Yury?"

No reply came.

"Yu-ry?" Juneau called once more. She looked about frantically.

"He's in the bathroom. Oh, thanks, Cassie," Raylor responded as Cassandra presented him with a glass of water and refreshments.

"Anyone else?" Cassandra looked around at her fellow student body members.

Everyone nodded yes.

Water was utterly necessary.

"Here, I'll help," Junior offered then followed behind Cassandra.

He'd put on a black wig for the occasion.

"Juneau, here's the calendar for the upcoming events..." Juneau nodded in both agreement and with satisfaction as Cate spoke. She made a fine secretary.

"Reflections?" Cate asked Raylor.

Raylor held up a folder of his own in response.

"Good. Show's on."

The student council walked into the busy conference room.

School board members, invited teachers, city hall members, and those with proposals sat and chattered.

Juneau and her crew were up first.

They walked to the front of the room and to the guest podium. Seven chairs were arranged nicely beside it with reserved signs.

Cassandra walked in later with stacked plastic cups and a water pitcher. Junior carried a tray of appetizers.

Yury followed behind hurriedly with napkins in hand.

"A-hem." The president of the school board prodded the microphone.

"Good morning. Allow me to open this meeting here on this day of November 14. Before we begin, may we all please stand?"

The room immediately silenced and all stood in unison.

"Please turn to the flag."

Clothing rustled. People cleared their throats. A few coughs were released.

"Please begin."

"I pledge allegiance
To the flag
Of the United States of America
And to the republic
For which it stands
One nation
Under God
Under Liberty
And justice for all."

"Amen," someone cried.

"Thank you. Please sit. Freshman class... it's all yours." The school board president faintly smiled.

Juneau approached the podium then adjusted the microphone. She took small sips of water.

"Good morning." Her voice came out loud and clear.

It dominated the room.

"Today-"

The room seemed to sway as pitchers then fell and water splashed across the carpeted floor.

The room's lamps swung dangerously.

Juneau cleared her throat then laughed nervously.

"That must've been the 1.9 earthquake," she joked. The room erupted with unsure laughter. "Today-"

The room seemed to shake again as those who had volunteered to soak the water spillage stumbled about goofily. 

The lights went out.

"There goes the electricity box," someone chuckled. Others joined him.

A few rose from their seats then opened the room's blinds.

"Thank you," Juneau smiled. "Perhaps-"

Beep, beep...

Alarmed cars interrupted the poor Juneau.

"Ah, for those who traveled via car transit, please rearm your vehicles," Juneau laughed nervously once more. "Perhaps we should have a break and - WHOA!"

Suddenly the entire room shook. The blinds rattled and snapped.

The windows shook and the tempered glass rattled.

Then broke free into shards. 

The lamps broke free from the ceiling and crashed to the floor.

The ceiling was crumbling as large slices. The walls were cascading upon them....

Screams and shrieks sounded.

"Juneau!" Someone cried.

"Don't panic!"

But as the words exited Juneau's mouth, she could feel the air being ripped from her lungs.

...

They were falling.