19

"You're back." Tony says, not looking up from his phone.
Steve and I stand in the entrance of the quinjet, not saying a word. The other Avengers sit in chairs, quietly entertaining themselves. We still have our cloaks on, not wanting to take them off.
"I would look up if I were you, Stark." Natasha snorts.
Tony glances up at us, then looks down at his phone again. He shakes his head and looks back up at us.
"Mother of-" Tony shouts.
"Shut. Up." I groan.
"What happened to you two? And why are you wearing that?" Tony asks.
"It's a long story," Steve sighs, pulling down his hood. "But we found something."
I put down my own hood and take out the paper and flash drive. Everyone gazes at them, wondering its contents.
"Give me the flash drive." Bruce says.
"No, gimme!" Tony whines, grabbing for the flash drive.
I toss it to Natasha who hands it to Bruce. Bruce grins and jams in into his laptop. While the information loads, I hand Bruce the paper.
"'Property of Bernard Hoffmann.'" Bruce begins. "'New Main Base. Located on 8th Avenue and West 42nd Street in New York, NY.'"
"Near Madame Tussauds," I mumble.
"There is a note attached to it," Bruce says. "'Hoffmann, this is your paper from when you last came. Thought that you might want to keep it. From,' It's erased off, the name."
"By the way," Steve says. "Hoffmann is dead."
"Oh, makes it easier for us." Tony says.
Steve scoffs and I glare at Tony. However, I don't mention that Steve killed him.
"Now, for the flash drive." Bruce says.
Everyone scans the computer screen, searching for life changing information. But none is found.
"Just maps of the new base," Clint says.
"We will need this, it shows the entrances. But we don't need it now." Bruce says.
"So, there's nothing we can do here anymore?" Tony asks.
"I-I really don't know," Bruce says. "I'll contact Director Fury later."
My eyes widen with realization. "Oh my god," I say, covering my mouth with my hand.
"What?" Tony asks.
"Steve, the planes!" I holler. "T-They were transferring information so that they could prepare for New York. The agents were stressed. How could I be so blind?"
"Tori," Steve coos. "Don't beat yourself up about it. I didn't realize either. And now that we do know, we can go home and stop all of this."
"You're right," I say. "What am I doing? Now, let's take this stuff off."
I unclasp the leather strap of the cloak and let it fall to the floor. I undo my scarf and take it up with my cloak. Steve does the same, also taking off his shield and undoing the knots in the scarves on it.
"Oh, sorry, this is yours." Steve says, handing me my gun.
"Thanks." I say.
"Where should we put this?" Steve asks.
"In our rooms. We'll be right back everyone." I say.
Steve and I wind through the hallways and drop off our clothes. Once we both walk out of our rooms, we awkwardly stand in front of each other, searching for what to say.
"Thank you," I say.
"For what?" Steve asks.
"Coming with me. I probably would've died if you hadn't."
"We wouldn't want that, would we?" he grins.
I laugh and we walk back to the others. Once we get close enough, I hear voices - the Avengers' and Fury's.
     "-look after them. Especially her." Fury's voice echoes through the halls.
     "Them?" I mouth to Steve.
     "Us?" he mouths back.
     We creep closer, listening to the conversation.
     "We will," Bruce says. "Anyway, they ran off and got some information. We are coming home tomorrow."
     "Good. But, I command you to watch over the two. They are just kids, although one is technically not." Fury says.
     Steve turns his nose and crosses his arms.
     "Fury, I'm telling you this right now," Tony says. "You've already seen what Steve can do. He is a good man. Tori, my sweet Victoria, is still young. They are both broken, but they can handle themselves just fine. Yes, they do need to be monitored, but not very much. Plus, they care about each other. I couldn't bare seeing them apart after all they've been through, even though they haven't known each other for a long time."
     "You're correct, Stark," Fury says. "But as I said, they are young and need to learn a little more. They are naive, not knowing what to expect when they come home."
     "That's because you haven't told them anything." Bruce hisses.
     If there is one thing that I know about Bruce, it is that he isn't one to unleash his anger unless he is on a mission and needs to let the "other guy" show.
     "Be careful with your words, Fury." Natasha says. "You don't want your precious little quinjet to be ripped to shreds."
     "You're right, I don't," Fury says. "But if there is anyone that should tell them, it's one of you. And again, keep that girl safe."
     My hand lingers on my gun, ready to pull it out and shoot. Force of habit.
     "Do I need to tell-" Tony begins.
     "No, no you don't. Follow my orders." Fury commands.
     I hear the computer shut off, the call ended. I march into the room, Steve silently telling me not to. Everyone's heads snap up at me, then immediately go back down.
     "Hey, Tori," Tony says.