54

Steve

     Every Avenger stomps into Director Nick Fury's office with their uniforms on and have their weapons. I have my shield on my back and Tori by my side.
     "The papers," Bruce says to Fury, placing a stack of papers on his desk.
     "Good," Fury says. "Now, the mission."
     A hologram hovers over the desk, showing a building.
     "I've seen some H.Y.D.R.A. activity near this building," Fury says, pointing at the square that hovers over his desk.
     "That's where Harris was," Natasha mutters.
     Tori and I shift, not wanting to go back to where she was tortured. I rest a hand on her back reassuringly.
     "Yes," the man in black says. "There have been a few agents, but that means there are many more. I want you to explore the building and bring back some information."
     I gulp, but agree to the plan.
     "Good," Fury says. "There's a helicopter when you're ready."
     Everyone leaves the office, shuddering from the memories.
     "We can't go back," Clint says. "That place is a death trap."
     "The only way we can go through without triggering any bad flashbacks will be through the roof again." Tony growls.
     "Let's go," Tori says, dragging me to where the helicopter is.

•••

     "Welcome back to hell," Tony mutters as we arrive to the building in the snowy plains.
The helicopter lands and everyone rushes out. Tori's breaths are uneven and shaky, making me quite nervous.
"It's okay," I tell her. "I'm scared too."
She looks up at me, her eyes full of fear. She presses her lips to mine, closing the space between us.
"Remember our promise," Tori says.
"I will," I respond.
We follow the other Avengers into the building. We climb the ladder and drop through the top. Everyone shoots H.Y.D.R.A. agents and we wind our way to the bottom. There is a staircase that goes underground, like a concealed area. I go down first, readying my shield. There isn't a single agent, just long cement corridors.
"Let's keep moving," I tell everyone.
We walk through the corridors, not finding a single thing. I am about to just give up, but then Tori speaks.
"Cap, I found something." Tori announces.
She stands behind a desk inside of an office. She holds up papers that all are handwritten.
"These are notes about the serums." she says.
"Serums?" I ask. "Like-"
"Yes," she says, knowing the rest of my sentence.
Tori hands me a paper, which I gratefully take. On the top, is the title of the serum, date, and time. I read it over, not believing my eyes.
     "H-He did that to you?" I stammer.
     "Yes," Tori says. "These are Harris's exact notes of what he did to me."
     I hand the paper back to her. "I'm lucky he's already dead."
     "Now, let's get out of here," Tori says.
     We walk out of the office and gather with the Avengers. They each have their chance of looking at the paper.
     "We have to show Bruce," Tony says.
     "We'll see him on the helicopter," Tori responds. "We need to get out of here."
     No one hesitates. We march up the flights of stairs and go down the ladder. The crisp air rips through Tori's hair, but she isn't cold.
     "Are you sure?" I ask her, shivering myself.
     "I-I'm fine," Tori says. "Thank you though."
     We hop onto the helicopter and show Bruce the papers. He reads them with disbelief.
     "Impossible," Bruce mumbles.
     "It's entirely possible," Tori says. "I would know."
     "B-But it isn't!"
     "It is,"
     "We need to show this to Fury," he says. "This could mean the difference between life and death."