58

Tori

     Every Avenger huddles around the television once more, waiting for the highly anticipated news story to be on. Steve and I sit on the sofa next to each other, nervous about the topic of the story.
     "Welcome back," the same male news anchor says. "We have a very highly anticipated news story that can change the way we think of two very important people."
     The only thing that runs through my mind is what did we do?
     "Yes, Tom," the female anchor says. "It is about our beloved Captain America and Mystérieux from the Avengers. All of the Avengers except Thor were spotted near a small town in Massachusetts this morning. And because of social media, this video that a group of ninth graders had taken has become viral over the last few hours."
A video appears on the screen. Shrubs block the entire right half of the shaky video, but it is a clear picture on the left. I see the helicopter and everyone, excluding Bruce and Thor, walking out of it with our uniforms.
"It's the Avengers," one young voice whispers.
The kids make awing sounds and point out each Avenger, saying their names. I walk next to Steve, who looks down at me with worried eyes. I am pale, showing that I scared. Steve's lips move, telling me something. I look up at him, and for a moment, do nothing. Then, I press my lips on his, kissing him. The teenagers gasp and freak out. Steve kisses me back, cupping my cheek.
     "Oh my god," one of the teens chimes. "Are you seeing this?"
     The two others give a positive reply, recording us themselves.
     Steve and I shift uncomfortably in our chairs, our faces as red as tomatoes. Everyone is silent, but silently cheering.
     Steve and I in the video cease our kiss and I whisper something to him. He responds with two words, which I remember by heart - "I will".
The video ends and the news anchors appear on the screen.
"So, in a nutshell," the female anchor says. "Captain America and Mystérieux kissed."
I blush like crazy and hide my face with a hand. Tony attempts to keep in his excitement, but fails. Thankfully, he expresses it to Bruce.
"This can mean so many things for the Avengers and for their fans," the male anchor says. "So far, there has been much positive feedback and they are supportive of the couple."
"But, we aren't sure if they are truly a thing yet," the woman says.
"Clearly they are used to showing this affection to each other."
I run my fingers through my hair and stand from my spot. Everyone's attention is drawn to me.
"This is getting way too personal," I say between clenched teeth, walking out of the room.
I hear Steve laugh and he comes after me. We walk to my bedroom and Steve closes the door behind us.
"I agree," Steve finally says.
"Okay," I say, throwing my hands up. "How would they even know that other stuff? They already know about the ice."
"Yeah," Steve chuckles. "At least they don't know that we've slept with each other."
"Steve!" I scold. "Now that's really personal!"
"I'm sorry, I had to," he says. "But we did for the first time before we kissed for the first time."
"Personal," I remind him.
"Hey, it's personal to me too."
"Just, why would they even mention stuff like that?"
"The views and the hype," he answers. "People get so excited over romance."
"And I'm related to one of those people,"
"That's different, he's only like that about us."
     "Still,"
     "Hey," Steve whispers. "Our promise."
     "I remember, honey," I grin.
     "See, it's fun."