24

"Tori?" Steve calls, rushing into my dark bedroom.
     I stare at the door; Steve, Tony, and Bruce eyeing me with horror.
     "Steve," I choke out, dropping the lamp and running into his arms.
     He takes me into an embrace, holding me with all his might. I start to cry into his shirt, not wanting to let go. He rests his head on top of mine comfortingly, whispering comforting things into my ear.
     "It's okay," he coos. "It's okay."
     "What happened in here?" Tony yells, turning on the light.
     He sees the unconscious H.Y.D.R.A. agent on my floor near the bed.
     "Oh my god," he mutters.
     "W-Wha," Bruce stumbles.
     "The agent said something to her," Steve says. "Tori, can you tell me what he said?"
     "S-Steve," I sob. "H-He threatened us, you and I."
"If there's anyone they should be threatening, it's me." he says, stroking my hair.
"Steve, they're going to kill you!" I shout, looking into his sad blue eyes.
He takes a shaky breath and holds me closer to him. "They've practically done it before, they can do it again."
"No, Steve, y-you don't understand."
     "I'll be back," Tony says between his clenched teeth. "J.A.R.V.I.S., tell Clint and Natasha to wait for me."
     "Tony," I mouth as he leaves the room, ready to scream to Fury.
     "Tony, wait!" Steve shouts.
     "It's no use," Bruce says. "But I don't blame him. Wait, Tori, what was the last thing the agent said to you?"
     "Hail H.Y.D.R.A.," I manage to say.
     "Oh, that makes sense. Wait - no, no, no, this is bad. This is very bad." Bruce says, rushing to the agent.
     "At least you protected yourself," Steve mumbles.
     "But, Steve," I say. "It was a warning. He was warning me."
     "Yeah, he was." Steve says. "I've already promised someone else this too, I'm never going to let anyone hurt you. I swear on my life."
I blink. My brain tries to comprehend what he said, but that is a failure. In disbelief, I gaze into his eyes. His blue orbs are filled with promise.
"I promise the same to you." I say.
He smiles. "No need."
I hear multiple footsteps stomp down the hallway. The three of us snap our heads in the direction of the door. Four S.H.I.E.L.D. agents come into my room along with Tony. Two of the agents are Natasha and Clint. Steve holds me even closer to him protectively.
"There," Tony says, pointing to the unconscious H.Y.D.R.A. agent.
The two other agents go to the male agent's side, checking his pulse.
"If she had hit him any harder, he would have been long gone by now." an agent says.
"Let's get him out of here," the other says.
One drags a stretcher out of the hallway, then the two work together to put the agent onto it. When they walk out, a man in a black trench coat and an eyepatch walks into my room.
"Mr. Rogers, may I speak to you in the hall for a minute?" Fury asks with a hint of ire in his deep voice.
     Steve gulps, but does as Fury says. I watch Steve walk out, both of us scared.
     "Tori," Tony says. "You should change into pajamas. This won't be long."
     I hesitantly nod and grab a pair of black shorts and a black t-shirt from my dresser. I take one last look at the door and go into my bathroom, closing the bathroom door behind me and locking it.
     I peel my jeans and shirt off and replace them with the other clothes. I unlock the door and walk out, seeing Steve walk inside. His face is a bright red and a grin spreads across his face.
     "Now, you should go to bed." Tony says to me, seeing me walk from my attached bathroom.
     "What? No." I say. "I need to hear Fury's lecture."
     "Please," he chokes out.
     I furrow my eyebrows while Tony leaves the room, closing the door behind him. Steve stays, walking closer to me.
     "He's right," Steve mumbles. "Fury is here."
     "But-" I complain.
     "No buts," he says, leading me to my bed.
     He takes off the extra pillows and pulls down the sheets, commanding me to get in. I give in and bury myself under the covers.
     "I know you are as nervous and scared as I am," Steve says, sitting on the edge of my bed. "But I think it's for the best."
     "Is he going to be giving you a lecture?" I ask.
     "He already has," Steve says. "I don't have to attend the one for the others."
     He smiles sadly, looking down at my dark gray comforter. He hugs me and stands up.
     "Good night, Tori." he whispers.
     He walks to the door and turns out the light.
     "W-Wait," I choke out. Wait, what am I doing? The words just blurt out of my mouth.  "Will you stay with me?"
I immediately bite my lip. Why would I say that? I'm just going to make myself stupid. Oh wait, I already have. I'm so—
     "Yeah," he says softly.
     Steve walks to my bedside. I stare at him wide eyed. He actually said yes. I hesitantly scoot over and pull down the sheets for him to get in, my mind racing with questions; however, in no other situation would I do this, but if a random man comes in your room while you're asleep and threatens you, you'd be scared too. He nervously kicks off his shoes and slides under the sheets. I shift over to him, my mind clouded with fear, nervousness, and hope as he welcomes me into his arms. I rest my head on his chest and leave a hand to linger there as well. The sound of my beating heart echoes in my ears. He holds me close to him and I see the ends of his lips twist up.
     "Of course," he says, lower than a whisper.