30

"What does Fury want?" I ask Tony.
"I really don't know," Tony sighs. "He was asking questions about the mission and was complaining that he didn't assign the mission and we went because we wanted to."
"What is that guy's problem?" Clint asks.
     "I don't know. He is just very busy." Tony says.
     "He knows something that we don't," Steve says. "And he'll do anything to keep it away from us."
     "That's true," I say. "The fact that he tried to keep it secret that H.Y.D.R.A. has us on their wanted list, that's a big deal."
     "Definitely," Tony says.
     "Bruce, do you still have that paper from London?" I ask randomly.
     "Yeah," he says, taking the paper from his laptop.
     "Thanks," I say.
I read over the note attached to the paper that I received from Mr. Bernard Hoffmann's office. Nothing important except the erased name. Steve looks over it with me, trying to make out any letters pressed onto the paper.
"H," Steve mumbles.
"A," I add.
"R,"
"R,"
"I,"
"S!" I exclaim.
"It's Harris!" we shout in unison.
     The Avengers raise an eyebrow at us.
     "It's Harris, Steve. Harris!" I shout.
     "Question is, who's Harris?" Tony asks.
     "I don't know, but we know the name!" I cheer.
     "Slow down," Bruce says. "You found out what was erased?"
     "Yes!" Steve shouts.
     "T-This great!" Bruce rejoices. "We need to find this guy."
     "But how?" Clint inquires.
     Bruce stays silent, unsure of the answer. Steve and I ponder ourselves while the other three converse.
     "We just find them." Steve says. "That's how Tori and I found Hoffmann."
     "But how?" Clint asks again, throwing his hands up in protest.
     I grin. "Fury."

•••

     "What do you all want?" Fury asks through the phone. "Can't you see that I'm busy?"
     "Well, we can't see you at all, so..." I say.
     "I'm not in the mood, Ms. Stark." Fury growls. "Again, what do you want?"
     The Avengers gather around Tony's phone, which is on speaker. We wait with anticipation for Fury's words.
     "Who is Harris? From H.Y.D.R.A.?" Steve asks.
     Fury's line is silent. "H-How do you know who Harris is?"
     "A little paper that Steve and Tori found," Tony says. "Now talk."
     Fury sighs. "He is a H.Y.D.R.A. scientist. He tests things on certain targets."
     I grin. "And those 'things' are?"
     "Why would I tell you that?"
     "Maybe because two of your precious Avengers are targets!" Tony shouts.
     "Ugh, you all are annoying children," Fury says.
     "Two important peoples' lives are on the line," Natasha spits. "They have hearts, unlike you."
     "Brainwashing." Fury states. "Mainly brainwashing."
     I look at Steve, who looks very hurt. I've seen him brainwashed, but he hasn't seen me. He cares about me, clearly, and considering how I acted when he was, he is going to break when I am.
     "And your not doing anything?" Clint says. "These people could kill you with one punch."
     "I know," Fury replies. "I'm fully aware of that. I'm doing everything that I can so that they don't."
     "You've already failed," Steve hisses between his clenched teeth. "I has brainwashed today, in fact, and almost killed two of the Avengers."
     "What?" Fury snaps.
     "You heard me, Fury." Steve says.
     "No!" Fury roars. "I'm trying everything! Wait, brainwashing isn't temporary for Harris, how are you back to normal?"
     Steve doesn't answer. Instead, he looks at me.
     "A little interaction," Tony sneers. "Nothing much."
     "Well, clearly it was 'much'. Who was involved?"
     "That's none of your business," Tony responds.
     "Yes, it is," Fury growls. "I'm the one who is going to be saving your a-"
     "Me," I say. "It was me and Steve."
     "What was the 'interaction'?"
     "Um, I-I can't say it." I mumble.
     "Did you-?" Fury mutters.
     "Kiss? Yes," Steve admits. "I'm surprised that the others didn't include you in the bets."
     "I'm not going to get involved in that," Fury says. "But it worked, and that's all that matters."
     "Now, about Dr. Harris." Tony says.
     "He works with H.Y.D.R.A. and uses people as test subjects. He's an intelligent man." the director says.
     "Intelligent as in?" I question.
     "Keen and clever. He has a quick wit and has master plans that are elaborate."
     "That's all we need to know," Tony says. "Thanks."