55

Tori

     "Wow, this is interesting," Fury ponders as he looks over the documents that I found in the base. "Very organized."
"That's it?" Steve says. "Look very closely at the test subjects."
"Ah," Fury says. "This one will be important."
The Avengers stand in Fury's office, watching him look over the papers. The sun is starting to set and the air outside is probably getting cooler; it's becoming winter.
"Which one?" Tony asks.
"Your sister's," Fury says, raising his eyebrows at the information. "You're a strong woman, Ms. Stark."
"I get that a lot," I hiss.
"But look here," Bruce says, pointing to something on the bottom of the document. "Look how much he put into her."
Fury gulps. "Well, that's a lot of serum."
"That's my point," Bruce grunts. "And it also says that the power isn't always controlled."
I fold my hands behind my back, now fearing them. Steve rests a hand on my hip, showing that I'll be okay.
"Then, how is your serum coming along?" the man in black questions Bruce.
"N-Not well," the scientist admits. "It's going better than I thought, just not what you expect."
"Keep working on it and you all are still not going on any missions until further notice."
"Why?" I ask. "You said that there was an attack? If there was, where was it?"
"West coast," he sighs. "And they're making their way here."
I bite my lip, not wanting Fury to continue.
     "What do we do?" Clint asks.
     "Just stay safe," Fury answers. "Do what you want, just stay safe."

•••

     Steve and I sit in my room, just chatting. We left the other Avengers to deal with Tony's complaining. Steve stops listening to me, which I easily notice.
     "Steve, what's wrong?" I ask him.
     "Hmm? S-Sorry, I was just thinking," Steve stutters.
     "About what?"
     "I've been wondering, once this chaos ends, what will we do? We won't be needed all together at all times."
     "I see what you mean," I say, Tony's complaining heard from the living room.
     "So, I was thinking, maybe we can get an apartment near here."
     "We?" I grin. "I'd like that."
     Steve smiles. "We definitely can't be out of the city in case something does happen."
     "Oh yeah, for sure." I say, remembering when Loki came to Earth.
     "But it's not going to be for a while," Steve sighs. "All of this craziness isn't going to just disappear."
    "Yeah," I breathe. "I can't wait to get out of this madhouse."
    "You've been stuck with the craziest one for your entire life. I could imagine."
     I laugh. "But I won't have any problems with you. And I just realized how cheesy that sounded."
     "You aren't the only one," Steve grins. "I've said many cheesy things and I don't regret it."
     I smile. "Yeah, right."
     "Oh, really?" he says seductively. "I would think twice about that, Victoria."
     "I have, Steven." I mimic.
     We burst into laughter and laugh until our sides hurt.
     "O-O-Okay, I'm done," I say in between laughs.
     "I don't think so," Steve says in the same voice as before, getting close to my face.
     I laugh hysterically and my eyes start to water. "I'm crying," I say, wiping away a tear.
     Steve quickly kisses my nose and then continues to laugh himself. We laugh as hard as our bodies can handle it until Tony runs into my room, questioning what we are doing.