49

Tori

"Do I even want to know what happened?" Tony asks, examining Steve and I.
Steve grins, snow covering his hair and water dripping down his forehead. I laugh and look at myself, snow covering my face and probably dotting my hair.
"We had a snowball fight," Steve explains to the confused Avengers.
"How?" Clint asks. "It's not even snowing."
"You're learning to use your power?" Bruce asks. "It's way too soon for you to be that comfortable with it."
I smirk. "It's easier than I thought."
"Tell that to Steve's face," Natasha snorts.
Everyone laughs at Steve's snow covered face, pointing out the specks of pure ice.
"It'll melt," I tell him.
"I don't want it to," Steve pouts.
"Not in the house!" Tony shouts over the commotion.
"Aww," I sigh, putting my hands to my sides.
"Well," Tony says. "I think that everyone has had their fun, now let's get to business."
"About what?" Natasha asks.
"H.Y.D.R.A.," Tony responds, typing on Bruce's laptop.
"What's so important?" I question him.
"Everything," Tony says. "Steve, you ran through the base not too long ago, was it crowded?"
"N-No," Steve says. "No one was there."
"Hmm," Tony hums, clicking through files. "It's possible that they abandoned the place."
"They wouldn't have," I butt in. "It is the American powerhouse of H.Y.D.R.A., they wouldn't just abandon it."
"She has a point," Steve agrees. "They wouldn't just throw away their hard work."
Tony furrows his eyebrows and clicks through a map. He scrolls through different areas, most are familiar to me. I spot Central Park, Times Square, even the Avengers Tower.
"Ah," Tony breathes. "The H.Y.D.R.A. base."
Everyone gathers around the computer screen, wanting to see what he is looking at.
"There are entrances here, here, here, and here," Tony says, pointing at each "here". "We need to find a way that hasn't been explored yet and see what they have hidden."
Steve's mouth twists down, creating a frown. I can almost see his thoughts: the brainwashing, our first kiss, and when he was trying to find me. H.Y.D.R.A. has been an enemy of Steve's for a long time, but it really hasn't beaten him up until now.
     I gently lay a hand on his shoulder, which is slightly higher than my own shoulder. Steve quickly snaps his head at me, knowing why I am doing this.
     "It's going to be okay," I whisper. "I promise."
     "Okay," Steve says. "Okay."

•••

     The Avengers clomp through the empty H.Y.D.R.A. base, searching for any activity. I hold up a small box shaped technology by the handles and turn it in multiple directions. I stare at the blue and green screen, searching for any warm colors.
     "Find any red yet?" Tony asks us from across the room.
     "No," everyone says in unison.
     Steve's eyes glint from the blue, intent on the screen. I draw my attention back to my own screen and put it in front of a wall, hoping that I will find heat. My hopes are crushed when it is just blue.
     I sigh and continue to move. I hear an arrow shift in Clint's quiver, causing me to jump. Ice begins to cover the handles of the technology, making me even more anxious.
     "Tori?" Steve asks me sweetly from a few feet away. "Are you alright?"
     I vigorously shake my head. Steve's eyes become full of fear, but then they soften when they spot the ice.
     "Tony, your camera might be an icicle by the end of the mission." I announce.
     "That's fine," Tony sighs as he surveys the group. "And everyone promises that we won't tell Fury about the mission?"
     Everyone nods and continues their work. I hold out my camera to Steve. He takes it and holds his out in front of the both of us so that I can see. I pull down my uniform's sleeves and walk next to Steve, watching the camera. We turn to face a hallway, and the machine starts to beep. There is a flash of red that flies in the hallway.
     "C'mon!" Steve barks.
     Steve and I rush down the hallway, both of us readying our weapons. I hear another pair of running feet the further we run. I spot a white lab coat and I sprint faster.
     Steve and I corner the H.Y.D.R.A. scientist at a dead end of the hallway. He covers his face, wanting to hide his identity. I clench my teeth and lift my hands. Ice crystals are released and they cuff the H.Y.D.R.A. agents hands and feet to the wall. An icicle grows in front of his throat, truly pinning him to the wall.
     "You," Steve hisses to the agent.