31

The rest of the day is a blur. It is all jumbled up because of my constant thoughts. The only parts that I can remember is zoning out and someone snapping me back to reality. Steve is the same way, only no one attempts to bring him back. It has been a rough day on him, and I'm the only one even willing to speak to him. Sometimes, he jolts back into reality himself, but looks absolutely terrified.
I can only imagine what he is seeing. Possibly when he was brainwashed or when he saw me sobbing over what he was doing. I don't recall anything that wasn't important when I found Steve and Tony. I don't remember what I was thinking or how I looked. That is another topic itself.
"Tori, Steve, you need to eat." Tony tells us at the breakfast table.
I jolt out of my thoughts and listen to Tony. Steve comes back, slowly but surely.
"Neither of you have eaten all day and you're starting to worry me," he continues. "I understand that you're still trying to comprehend what has happened today, but that can wait."
I sigh and pick up the fork that sits on the plate. I play with the food that Tony prepared, my appetite lost. Steve just stares at it, unsure of what to do.
"Fine," Tony says. "I'll eat with you."
Tony takes his plate and gets another serving from the kitchen. He sets the full plate on the table and sits down to eat.
"Don't make me force-feed you." he warns.
Steve and I immediately start to eat, scarfing down the meal. Tony snorts and eats with us. Once we finish, we all put our plates in the dishwasher and walk into the living room.
"I'm going to take a shower," Steve announces. "I'll be back in a little bit."
I watch him leave and I tell the same thing to the Avengers. I go to my bathroom and turn the faucet. I peel off my clothes and get in. The shower head spits water onto the top of my head and I clean my hair and body.
     Once I turn off the faucet, I squeeze the water out of my hair and step out of the shower. I wrap a towel around my body and step into my room to find clothes. I find a pair of gray shorts and a dark gray long sleeve shirt and throw them on. I put my damp hair into a braid going down my right shoulder.
I leave my room and go into the living room. All of the Avengers are there, including Steve.
"Welcome back," Tony says.
I sadly smile at him, my eyes avoiding his face.
"It's not that bad, is it?" Tony asks Bruce, who sits next to him.
"No?" Bruce says.
"Tony!" I hiss, motioning toward Steve.
"Oh right, I-I'm sorry." he stutters.
I glance at the clock on the wall in the kitchen: 9:57 p.m.. I yawn and listen to the group.
     "I'm exhausted," Natasha says, rubbing her eyes.
     "Me too," I mumble.
     "I think that everyone is." Steve says.
     "Yeah," Bruce confirms.
     "Really?" Tony asks. "Clint, are you tired?"
     "Nope," Clint sighs.
     As the two men chat, Bruce and Natasha head to their floors and Steve and I exchange glances.
     "Come," I say, interwinding my hand with his.
     I guide him to my bedroom for peace and quiet. We sit on my bed and sigh.
     I gaze into his eyes. "Steve," I begin in a sweet tone. "Let me know if you're not ready to tell me, but what happened in there? How were you brainwashed?"
     "I've been ready to tell you," he admits. "I left because I saw an agent in a lab coat escape us. He ran down a hallway and led me into a connection of four other hallways. He dropped what seemed to be a grenade, but it just allowed gas to leak from it. The gas made me pass out and I woke up in the same spot where I fell. I had no recollection of what I was doing and only one thing was on my mind: kill Tony Stark. I ran into that room and saw Tony. I attacked and after a minute or two, you came in. Once Tony was almost done for, I-I was going to hurt you. You were stopping me from completing my mission. You snapped me out of it somehow, and I've never felt that guilty in my entire life. The thought of me hurting you, I-I can't bare it. And when you were sobbing and the way you looked at me, I thought that I was a monster. But when you kissed me, I felt rejoiced, like a part of me was repaired. If you were still scared of me, you surely wouldn't have. I kissed you back because I feel the same way about you as you do me. But I still feel horrible. I-I was going to kill you. And if I snapped myself out of it and found you dead-"
     I stop him by pressing my lips against his. We sink into the kiss, not wanting to stop. The tingling sensation spreads through me again, filling my entire body. Steve cups my face with a hand, kissing me back. Our lips separate for breath and we press our foreheads against each other.
     "And I won't ever let that happen," I coo.