Chapter Five

He backed away from me slowly, putting his hands out in front of his stomach, as to placate me.

"I was wrong. You are not a princess. You are a queen. My queen.", he whispered.

"I am nobody's queen. I am nobody's princess. I am nobody's anything.", I replied.

"I cannot leave you be for the next several moons.", he blurted.

"And why might that be?", I snapped.

"Seeing as though we are engaged, and to be married once we arrive in Norway, you will be living with me in my place of dwelling.", the Jarl pointed to another bedchamber inside of his cabin.

"I am not sleeping in the same cabin as you!", I barked.

"You may sleep in the bed in the second bedchamber, or you can sleep in that bed, lying next to me!", the Jarl pointed across the bedchamber to the king sized bed with gold lining that sat next to a fireplace.

"I will not sleep in that bed with you!", I screamed.

"Then sleep in that bedchamber!", he pointed towards the adjoining room once more.

"I would rather sleep on deck than sleep in this cabin with you!"

"Choose between the adjoining bedchamber or my bed!", he screamed once more.

"The adjoining bedchamber!", I replied.

"Now, I must leave!", I put my hand on the door handle, but a strong grip on my hand spun me around.

"What?", I asked, aggravated.

"You are not going anywhere!", barked the Jarl.

"And why is that?", I pulled from his grip and turned around once more.

He did not answer. He merely coughed and opened the door for me as I strutted out of the cabin.

The Jarl has such a short temper, but he changes from seething to calm, I thought.

I leaned on the wooden rail, staring into what seemed to be a wide, endless torrent of water.

"Oh life goes by

Still these cruel winds blow

Eroding my eyes", I sung.

"Like a whisper it goes

No destination

And we're all lonely

Far long

We shipwrecked on the shores

of your lies", a low, male voice joined in.

"All of these forces

Tauntingly haunting me

So I'll hold onto you

For dear life", we sang in unison.

"You....you know that song? Who taught you?", asked the voice.

"My mother taught me.", I replied.

"But how would she know? Only Vikings know that song."

"My mother grew up with Vikings. That is how I know Norse.", I whispered.

I turned around to see the Jarl. "Oh, it is you.", I scoffed. "Why do you want to engage in a conversation with me?"

"You need to eat."

"I shall not eat. For all that you have given me has been foul in words, in tone, and in action.", I replied.

"You need to eat!", he ordered.

"I would rather starve.", I leaned over the rail once more and stared into the endless water the second time.

"You need to meet my men."

"Do I still have to eat?", I asked.

"Yes. I will not let my future wife starve.", he replied calmly.

"I have a long cut below my collar bone, an injured ankle, I have been captured by Vikings, and I have nothing. I do not think that I am feeling well enough to eat."

He pulled me away from the rail and dragged me through the dock, passing every barrel or rope in a tumultuous whirlwind.

I was stretched down the stairs, and pushed to stand in front of all of the laughing men that were wolfing down their meals.

"Ahem!", barked the Jarl.

The laughing stopped, all of the men's eyes on the Jarl.

"We have a 'guest'.", he announced as he guided me towards a seat, pulling out the chair for me.

"I can do that myself, thank-you.", I snapped.

"I remembered how you demanded respect. I am only following 'orders'", he replied, sounding more serious than he intended to.

"I wanted respect; not a maid.", I folded my hands in front of me as I sat down.

"I think what you meant to say was 'a butler'.", blurted one of the Jarl's men.

"No.", I replied.

The men let out raspy laughs, but the Jarl sat eating his meal, clearly trying to show that I could not bother him.

"Ha, ha, ha.", he said sarcastically. "Very amusing."

A/N: The song that they sang was actually sing by a lovely artist name LEAH. I do not own that song! Don't forget to vote, comment, and follow me if you'd like!