Chapter Thirty

We climbed the tall, rocky hill, our legs dragging with every step. I tried to force myself to feel energized, trick my mind into being happy. I couldn't suppress the nagging feeling that something had happened to Augun, but still I followed Birger until we reached the top.

We had pulled our hoods over 0ur heads. Antlers were adhered to the top of the fabric, and, to be quite honest, were very heavy and painful to carry on my head.

"Are we near yet?" I asked. He pointed up the plumes of smoke that rose from a few feet up.

"I would say so," he shot a glance up into the sky, eyes following the smoke that blew in beautiful patterns in the air. "You loved him, didn't you?'

I felt goosebumps flood over my skin and shivered, looking down at my feet. Love was such a strong word. I had formed a barrier from love after being taken away from my family. "Why are you talking about him as if he is dead?"

"Lagertha, when these things happen . . . " he shrugged. "I have answered your question. Now you answer mine."

"I love him as a great friend," I sighed, gripping on a rock and hauling myself up. "I do not think I could ever love my captor, but I do not think that I could ever hate Augun." Just the simple fact that he had taken me from my family was enough to make me loathe him, but the more I had gotten to know Augun, the more I thought of him as a kind and brave man. I would never marry him, but I would be his friend until the end of time.

"He really cared for you," Birger said blankly.

I continued to climb and held myself low to the rocks. "—cares."

"What?"

"He's alive, Birger. We have to believe he's alive," I corrected, annoyance cutting through my voice.

He bowed his head and nodded respectfully. "He told me he wanted to marry you."

I froze for a moment, then continued climbing, my heart now thundering louder than ever in my chest. Marry me? How could I tell him, after rescuing him from the enemy, that I didn't want to marry him?

Birger shot me a worried glance and made to climb up the next hill, then immediately sunk back down into place against a rock, pressing a finger to his lips. "Get down," he mouthed. I followed his directions and hid just beside his feet. 

My breath caught in my throat as I peered cautiously over the crest of the hill, watching the enemy camp. My fingers found the hilt of my sword at my hip and gripped it with as tightly as my sweat-clad palms would allow me.

Everyone sat smiling and laughing, including Augun. He didn't look injured or sick, confused or upset. He actually looked happy.

His eyes scanned the landscape and I found myself unable to move, paralyzed by both excitement and fear.

Before I knew what to do, his gaze met mine.

I froze. Maybe he wouldn't notice me if I didn't move. Maybe he would recognize me. Maybe he would let us help him.

None of those things happened.

I watched as his face hardened into a mask of anger, something I hadn't seen even on the first day he met me. With a quick motion to the other clansmen around the fire, he stood from his seat and started towards the edge of the slope.

I exchanged a glance full of confusion and fear with Birger, who tightened his grip on his sword.

He was only inches away now.

I drew my blade and held it steadily at my side.

The dirt above our heads was crumbling down onto us, and the antler hats did little to shield me from it. I felt a calloused hand reach down and grip my shoulder, pulling me up roughly and throwing me onto the grass.

"Augun?" I asked, holding back tears as I waited for him to recognize who I was. His face didn't change. "Augun, it's me!"

"What is your name, girl?" He pressed his sword to my throat. I tried to speak but couldn't get any air in my lungs. "Answer me!"

"Lagertha!" I finally yelled in response. He pressed the blade harder against my skin, drawing a little blood. This Augun was clearly different. "You know who I am, Augun."

He smirked devilishly. "I do," he paused and muttered something to one of the other clansmen. The only clear word I could hear was Arvid. "I know somebody who wants to see you. He's been waiting for you for a very long time."

"What?" I scrambled backward across the ground, finally managing to get a good grip on my sword. "This isn't you. You wouldn't do this."

He pressed the cold metal deeper into my neck and I let out a grunt of pain. "Oh, but I would."

Forgive me for what I am about to do to you, I thought to myself as I readied my blade in my hands. I hope you'll understand.

At that, I slashed my sword forward, cutting a bloody line across his lower leg. He yowled in pain and took a step back, just enough room for me to get on my feet and gain my bearings. Not even a few seconds later, Birger came flying over the hill. He sliced his sword through the air and managed to cut down one of the men Augun had summoned over to him.

"Run!" Birger ordered breathlessly.

"What?"

"Just do as I say!" His words sounded more desperate than I had ever heard them before and it was enough to send me sprinting away. Augun followed close behind, his footfalls so near I could feel them against my heels. His sword was drawn and all I could hear was him howling like a wild animal, like he had been possessed by some kind of demon.

It had to be an act. He had to be faking it. It was all an illusion.

But still, despite my thoughts, I could see in his eyes that he was set on killing me. I had never seen such rage or emptiness.

A heavy weight crashed down on me and before I could act, hands were gripping my arms and flipping me over. I opened my eyes to find that Augun's face was only a hand's length away. We were both breathing heavily, but even through the fatigue I could see he was holding a small dagger and no longer a broadsword.

The cold metal came to rest against my neck. I could feel it slowly digging into my skin, could feel a warm drop of blood trickle down. I could do nothing else but struggle under his weight, kicking and shaking as he grinned with pleasure.
"What did they do to you?" My voice cracked as tears wetted my eyes and my energy and resistance began to wane. In a fleeting moment I thought I saw a streak of recognition cross his eyes, but not to my dismay it disappeared as quickly as it had come.

He raised his hand to slap me, but he wasn't quick enough. I threw my fist up and brought it against his cheek as hard as I could. My knuckles stung, burning with pain that did not feel normal. It hurt worse. Much worse. I moved away from him as quickly as I could and before he could hit me again, Birger was punching him again and pulling me to the trees that led to Augun's village.

I couldn't think of anything to do. I didn't cry or scream. I simply ran.

I could feel him behind us again, but this time I wasn't scared he would catch us. There were plenty of places to hide and wait for him to pass.

He was a stranger in a place that was once his home. I was home in a place that was once strange.