Chapter Twenty-Four

"Come here!", barked Augun as he jumped from his horse and placed his sword upon Dargess' neck. "Do not harm him! I saw him and spoke to him. This was not his fault!",  I stated harshly. "Shut your untruthful mouth!", Augun said seriously. I jumped in front of Dargess. "A victory, for a life.", I whispered to him. He smiled but then pushed me behind him. As if playing a game, I pushed him behind me, this time holding him back.

"You just met him one moon ago, and your treating him as if he was your betrothed!", yelled Augun. "He is my friend and nothing more!", I leaned forward to look into his eyes, but saw no mercy in this moment.

"You! Girl! Come with me! Kill the boy.", and with that Augun pulled me away. I took a last glance back at Dargess before my eyes filled with tears and Augun pulled my face forward, holding it there until we had come to our home. Luckily, he brought Duke with him and ordered him to be put back into his stall. "Why are you doing this? Love is not control but reasonable freedom!", I explained.

"And you are anything but sure of our marriage. I have not had a chance to kill the enemy Jarl yet. You cannot treat me like your wife.", he chuckled and replied, "I only said that if you defeated him, I would not marry you by your choice; but I never said that I would not treat you how I desire. Also, it is different here. Love is control and pleasure, not an everlasting force that can never be broken. That is only true love, and true love does not exist."

"How can you be so sure? Besides, if you capture me, I want it to be because of true love and not just because of some sudden whim. And if it is a whim, God help me I will strangle you until your head flies from your neck. Are we clear?", Augun faced me and brought his forehead to mine. "You are brave enough to give the Jarl orders? Hm? You will see what is going to happen because of your foolishness.", he turned from me and pulled into our home.

"You may run and cower from me! Go! I do not care! Not right now! It only shows weakness!", Augun yelled with a hint of depression in his voice.

And with that, I ran from the home and eventually back to the feild. I saw the slashes in the earth and the broken branches of trees from the struggle of Dargess with Augun's men.

I began to rethink what I had said earlier.

"He is my friend and nothing more!"

Was that true? I know that we had only met one moon ago, but there was a connection. Sadly, in the world of the Vikings, you have to learn to trust no one.

A/N: Sorry for the short chapter guys! Don't forget to vote and comment! Bye!