Chapter Twenty-Six

I felt the sand sink into my shoes. I smiled as the familiar feeling of cold air bit my cheeks, inviting the numbness to come. I knew now that the real adventure had just begun for me.

Now I would have to find Augun, the enemy Jarl, find my family again, and decide if I wished to marry Augun. I knew that to find him, we would have to locate Arvid first.

"Ben!", I called out. He ran up and looked at me with curious eyes. "Yes..."

"Do you know where Arvid and his clan went from here?", I asked.

"Look at the ground.", he said. I did as he told me too. Footprints decorated the sand and muddy landscape beyond the beach. They split off into two separate paths, one heading into the trees and the other heading into the mountains.

"They go two different ways.", I whispered to Ben. "Which way seems more complicated?", "That will not help us.", I growled in a slightly louder voice. He flinched and stepped back.

"Maybe we can go back to the village.", blurted Birger. "They could tell us something."

I nodded in agreement. "Then it is settled.", I announced.

***************
     The familiar buildings towered around me, casting great shadows that signaled the coming of midday. I could feel the warmth from the hearth of a blacksmith's shop and hear the shouts of merchants trying to sell their commodities. The sweet aroma of sheperd's pie filled the air. Soft mud began to dry from this morning's rain, crunching underfoot. Gray billowing smoke floated from the large fire in the center of the village. It puffed high in the air and continued its ascension in rings. People sat and conversed about the day's troubles and bearings while a large reindeer roasted between them, skewered on a stick.

"It was not like this the last time we. . . visited.",  I commented as we made our way to Augun's home. "Yes. Let us just say that these people now understand who their leader is.", replied Birger. "I do not understand. I thought Augun was the Jarl."

"He is. There was much confusion when you arrived. They did not see a woman fit for such tasks like fighting and ruling.", replied Birger. I nodded in understanding, brushing my hair out of my face.

Resonant screams erupted behind us. I narrowed my eyes to view the horses that rode to the gates, their riders hardly moving in the bumpy gait.

We bolted towards the scene, pushing people from the streets to clear a path. Birger lifted two fingers up to a man who pulled a rope. The grass in front of the town revealed a sharp gate that shot up from the grass. A horse on the other side bucked, sending the rider flying through the air and landing on the spikes of the gate. I forced myself to watch what had just happened. There were cruelties in this world and I could no longer deny that.

A/N: Sorry for the long wait, guys! I hoped you liked this chapter!!!! I also want to thank those of you who have voted for my book in the Watty's on Twitter. For those of you who are new....I have entered my story in the Watty's so PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE vote for me on twitter by tweeting.....

I nominate "Mixed Blood [#Wattys2016]"  #MyWattysChoice

You guys can also increase my chances by voting and commenting on my story!! Thank you guys SOOOOO much!!!!!! Bye!!!!