Chapter Twenty-Seven

BOOK THREE?!- We are nearing the end of book two so I have decided to make a book three but it will be published here ( in the same book) just like book two! Hope you enjoy the new book and this new chapter! See you in the author's note! Bye!!!

The fire crackled in the hearth, sending a spark through the air, only to be put out by the rain that came through the window. A puddle formed on the wood floor, reflecting the lightning that struck outside. Thunder rolled through the village, leaving all to be silent while townsfolk were tucked into their homes for the night.

I shuffled my feet, looking up at Birger who sat across from me. His eyes were filled with curiosity and mischief as he returned my gaze. "Do you ever fret about anything?" I asked. His expression changed from blank to serious. "Every Viking does, but it is in our ways to not show fear. For if we do, our enemy will know our weakness." he whispered as if hoping no one would hear despite the fact that we were alone in a room with a closed door.

"Why do you ask?", he questioned, returning to his harsh yet charming self. "No reason, really. Do you think Augun is fearful?"

Birger wiped his face with his hands and laughed as if to say "We might as well kill ourselves now because it is sure to happen soon!"

"I have conversed with friends about rescuing Augun and they say that some whom they know are completely against it. I fear they will rebel. They may be following you now, but only to carry out their plan. They want to kill Augun so that you cannot marry him. They know that if they kill you, they will be punished to death. But if they kill a man and frame
Arvid, their punishment will not be as harsh and they will get what they want."

"And why is that?"

"They do not want to think of their Jarl as a man with a Christian wife."

"But they do not know if I am still Christian."

"Are you?"

"Yes, but they do not need to know that."

Birger smirked. "But who wants to kill him?"

"I do not know. Who can we ask to find out? Would your friends be willing to tell us?"

He opened his mouth to answer but was interrupted by the giggling of two women about our age as they passed by the door. "Move along! Move along! Give these two privacy!", said one of Birger's friends in his recognizable deep voice.

"Oh no!", I groaned, rubbing my forehead. We heard his footsteps stop at the door. "Wait! Let's use this!", said Birger as the door knob began to jiggle. "What?", I asked frantically. "I cannot explain! Just follow along!", he whispered.

Birger leaned in, our lips nearly touching. His friend burst through the door. "Qadir!", Birger yelled as he turned his head away from me to glare up at him. "Leave!", he ordered.

"I came to tell your that middag has been prepared."

"We will be down to dinner in a moment.", said Birger, shooing him away with a wave of his hand.

Once the door closed I had sunk back in my bed. "Explain!"

"Lagertha, if they think that we are in love, they will let you kill Arvid and they will spare Augun! They will not see him as a threat! If you fall in love with me, they will not fret for they know I cannot rule."

"What happens when we find Augun and bring him back?", I asked. "We will know by then. Now, let us eat!"

A/N: PLOT TWIST!!! Lol

Thank you guys for reading! Don't forget to vote and comment!

I also want to thank those of you who have voted for my book in the Watty's on Twitter. For those of you who are new....I have entered my story in the Watty's so PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE vote for me on twitter by tweeting.....

I nominate "Mixed Blood [#Wattys2016]" #MyWattysChoice

You guys can also increase my chances by voting and commenting on my story!! Thank you guys SOOOOO much!!!!!! Bye!!!!