Chapter Twenty-Three

I took several deep breaths as the herbalist gripped the arrow. "En, to, tre!", one, two, three, she counted. Before I could brace myself for the pain, she pulled the arrow out of my chest. I let out a loud scream before letting myself completely collapse on the bed.

I took deep, heaving breaths as she began to clean my wounds and bandage them with cloth. It felt worse with the arrow out rather than it was in.

I began to think about where Ben had gone, hoping that the Vikings had obeyed her orders and let him stay.

Loud rustling above us broke the odd silence in the room. Two men were bickering over wether or not Augun was alive.

Quickly, I threw on my dress and hobbled outside, despite the woman telling me to rest.

"He is dead!", yelled one man. "No! He is alive and well and he will come back!", argued another. "How do you know such things? Augun is a traitor to give himself up for a...for a woman!", spat the doubtful man.

He turned his head and shot me a burning glare. "What might your name be?", I asked. "For the years you have been in our company, you should have learned my name.", he snorted.

"Maybe, but I have certain...friends in this clan.", I said, looking at Birger. "So I will ask once more, what is your name?"

"Fritjof.", he crossed his arms and tapped his foot to the ground.

"Your are just like the others.", I muttered under my breath. "Must I stand here and be ordered around by a woman?", he asked the clan, putting his hands out from his sides.

I could see the growing anger on Birger's face as the man took his one true purpose: complaining.

I forced myself to stay silent, taking in slow deep breaths. "Must you be so loud?", said Birger. Fritjof rolled his eyes and stomped away.

I could sense Birger's annoyance fade away and he began to calm himself. I nearly broke out in a fit of laughter when I saw his fists turn white earlier into the argument.

Slowly, I made my way back to the cabin and slid into the bed. I saw that the woman who had tended to my wounds was still there.

"How are you feeling?", she asked me. "I am feeling just fine."

She nodded and replied. "Alert me if you need anything!"

"Could you please call in Birger, please? I need to speak with him."

The lady flew out the door and merely moments later Birger entered the cabin, charming tricks and all.

"You called...", he whispered as he traveled to the back corner of the room and casually leaned up against the wall, his arms crossed. "Yes."

"Why?"

"We need to get Augun.", I blurted, breaking the silence between our conversation. "We will find him. Trust me.", he replied without tone to his voice. "I cannot put trust into someone that I barely know. Do you know anyone else that has any idea of Augun's whereabouts?"

"Ben. One of the crew members described Augun to him and Ben claimed to know of Augun's location."

"But the boy could be a spy for Arvid's clan, could he not?", I asked in a hushed tone. "But he is wee.", I continued.

"Arvid has many dirty tricks, Lagertha. If you should be weary to trust anybody, it should be him."

A/N: Hi, guys! I wanted to post some more chapters because u had kept you guys waiting for so long for the last chapter and I wanted to thank you all for being patient. I also want to thank those of you who have voted for my book in the Watty's on Twitter. For those of you who are new....I have entered my story in the Watty's so PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE vote for me on twitter by tweeting.....

I nominate "Mixed Blood [#Wattys2016]" #MyWattysChoice

You guys can also increase my chances by voting and commenting on my story!! Thank you guys SOOOOO much!!!!!! Bye!!!!