Chapter Eleven

It was only a few hours before we were able to leave. 'Twas then, that I had asked the question that was burning in my mind. "Why did you kill my family?"

Augun turned around in alarm. "Please, Lagertga...I...", I interrupted him, "I am not cross."

He breathed a sigh of releif and looked at me. "Did you kill Dargess?"

I gulped. "Aye, I did."

He nodded in approval. "Then where is he?"

I turned to the bloody dirt that covered the ground. His body was gone and only small shreds of his clothes remained. "Perhaps the towns-folk took his body away.", I concluded.

Augun looked at me doubtfully, but replied, "Perhaps."

Despite his agreement, I could not shake the feeling that someone was watching us, stalking us, hunting us. I clutched the dirk in my pouch, but did not show it. I glanced over my shoulder, but only burnt remains of what used to be a town lie broken on the ground.

I wanted to beleive that Dargess was gone forever but I knew he still roamed these grounds.

"Lagertha,", said Augun. "We need to find our troops. They will not know what to do without a leader."

I nodded and we headed on. A short while away, my mother stopped and turned around to visit father and tell him of the good news. All I really wanted now was to see my father. I hoped that he was well and was recovering from his injuries quickly. He healed fast for a man that considered a ten pound fish heavy.

****************
     We finally found Augun's men, hidden beneath the trees of the forest. We all sat around a fire. We tore peices of rabbit meat off of the skin sand stuffed it into our mouths. We all spoke in Norse so that only we could understand what one another was saying.

Finally, Birger spoke in English. "What happened?", he asked curiously. "Where?", I leaned in closer to hear him. "Why, in the village, of course!", he cried. "Dargess....is dead.", I said to him. "Were you the one who...who uhhh..."

"Yes.", I interrupted. He nodded. "More and more of a Viking everyday!", added Augun.

I cleared my throat and changed our topic. "Where might you have gotten the meat?", I asked Birger. "Near the river, just behind that line.", he said as he moved his hands through the air, tracing along the line of pines that rimmed the rushing river. "Ah, I have heard legends that a witch rose from the trees here.", I said.

"That sounds nothing of a Christian story.", said Augun. "It's not. It is Pagan."

"Then why do you listen to such things?", he asked. "Can I not listen to it for my own enjoyment? Why, it entertains me! Though I do not beleive in it I find it rather exciting.", I replied. Augun nodded and rolled to the ground, laying on his back.

"The sky is cloudless.", he pointed out. "Yes...", I replied, confused. "What say your Christian beliefs of that?", he asked. "God. He cobtrols all weather, all events, but not your choices. Those are made on your own."

A/N: Sorry this chapter was somewhat uneventful but the next chapter will be action packed...completely action packed.

Don't forget to vote and comment

Don't forget to vote and comment. Bye!