Chapter Ten

We laid him down on a bed and felt for the spots that were wet with blood. My mother ran outside to pull up the wild onions that grew near the base of every home.

Meanwhile, I pulled off Augun's shirt and ripped pieces of cloth from it to wrap on to his wounds. I poured alcohol on to the fabric and pressed it to his chest, arms, and face. I watched as blood soaked the cloth and turned to a depressing pink.

Through it all, the women who had opened the door stood, staring at my every move. In a matter of minutes my mother had come back. She had used what broth was left in the women's pot, and dumped in the onions. She started a fire beneath it and stirred vigorously.

Eventually, Augun woke up. His eyes flicked open. He quickly sat up, winced, and laid back down. "What think you of that?", I asked him. "Of what?", he asked. "That.", I pointed to his wounds that were now tiny openings filled with new flesh.

He chuckled a bit and replied, "Impressive."

"Hand me that, will you?", he motioned to the jug of alcohol that I had used on his wounds. I did as he said. He quickly chugged it down and brought himself back down. I began to wrap cloth around his wounded chest until he hit my hand. "I'm fine. Leave me be!", he snapped. "You stubborn mule.", I replied facetiously.

He chuckled, but what was supposed to be a laugh of amusement, turned into a wease.

I sat with him until his coughing stopped. By that time, my mother had made her stew and handed it to Augun. "Drink it.", she ordered. "I will not do nothing of the sort!", he cried immaturely."Drink it!", she yelled. He took the stew reluctantly and slurped it down, scowling at my mother and I every few seconds in between sips.

He finished it and set the wooden bowl down beside him. "I now know where Lagertha gets her.....", he struggled for words. "Tenacity.", he finished.

My mother shook her head and corrected him. "From her father. That is where her tenacity comes from."

"Aye.", I replied. "Only Father would keep hauling that tree that had been struck down years ago."

Then, I recalled how my family was barely breathing on the shore. "Is father here?", I asked her. She nodded. "Aye, but your siblings...", she stopped. I nodded my head in understanding.

I was there only child now.

A/N: Sorry for the wait! I've been REALLY busy!!! Don't forget to vote and comment! Bye!