Chapter Twenty Two

My eyes opened slowly to many familiar faces standing around me. I shifted around to see mere wood walls surrounding us. "Where might we be?", I asked the people above me. "On a ship back to Norway.", said one man. "Norway?!", I asked, sitting straight up in my seat, "Why are we going back?"

A man shook his head and walked away. "Where is Augun? I would like to speak with him.", I asked.

Suddenly, two hands pushed through the people surrounding me. A little boy stood quietly in front of me, his hands folded neatly in front of him. His hair was short and grew to shape his face. His eyes were lined with soot and dirt. The clothes he wore were much like the male Vikings I had seen. It seemed to be slightly large on him. "Who is he?", wondered one man aloud.

The boy shifted in his stance, looking around nervously. "I am Ben.", he whimpered with an odd accent.

"Ben? That doesn't sound like a name from here.", I said. "I am not from that place.", said the child as he pointed his finger back to Iceland.

"Quit jesting boy! Where are you from?", yelled Birger from the front of the room. "I believe they call it...um...England."

"Why, we have an imposter!", said one man. "Throw him off the boat!", ordered another. I slid out of the bed and stood to protect the boy, flinching as I remembered my not yet treated wounds. "No.", I barked firmly.

I turned to the boy. "Do you have any kin?"

He replied with a simple shake of his head. "Then we will raise you as one of our own.", I said to him, loud enough for every man to hear. The crowd around me drew silent.

"Keep the boy?", asked Birger. "Yes. Are you surprised?", I asked sarcastically.

"No. Not at all."

I nodded and looked down at the boy. "Is this alright with you?", I asked him. The boy looked around nervously and then slowly nodded. "Get him a room at once!", I demanded.

"Since when did we begin to take orders from you?", asked Briger. I pulled my sword slightly out of its sheath, ignoring the grueling pain filling my body. "Must I say more?"

"I will go find him a suitable room.", said one man. "Room dismissed!", I yelled.

The satisfying sound of fading footsteps filled my ears. I was about to take a breath when I noticed a figure in the corner of my eye. "I said, room dismissed, Birger!"

"When did you start to give orders?", he asked, putting his hands on his belt.

"Until Augun boards the ship, I give orders."

"Lagertha, he won't be boarding the ship for quite a while.", he whispered. "Augun has been taken."

I sucked in a breath of anger and heaved at the pain of the arrow in my chest "Where?"

"Arvid."

"Then I'll give orders until we fetch him."

"Lagertha, you are not well."

"I am his future wife, so I must."

"You fancy him?" asked Birger. "That is not what I meant."

"What did you mean?"

"I don't know."

Ben

Ben

Birger

Birger

A/N: Hi, guys! I just want to thank those of you who have voted for my book in the Watty's on Twitter. For those of you who are new....I have entered my story in the Watty's so PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE vote for me on twitter by tweeting.....

I nominate "Mixed Blood [#Wattys2016]"  #MyWattysChoice

You guys can also increase my chances by voting and commenting on my story!! Thank you guys SOOOOO much!!!!!! Bye!!!!