Chapter Six

I walked into the darkened stable, using the moon as my light source. The smell of the horses comforted me, for the horses felt my presence to be calming and kind.

I looked over to see the boy sitting on the bench at the end of the barn. Why did I call him "the boy" instead of "a boy" you ask? I have fancied this boy for six years. I have known him, and we have talked, but he never told me his name, and I never told him mine. Around him I have always felt distant, as if there was a reason that I could not love him; not as though he did not love me, for I did not know. A reason that made me feel as if he was unavailable and closed; shutdown.

I walked over to him and sat down beside the boy, slouching down and staring into the darkness.

"What is your name?", I asked.

"I cannot tell you.", he replied

"Why?", I whispered calmly.

"I do not know; but I just cannot.", he sat up straight, his back aligned with the stone wall.

"Oh.", I laid my head on his shoulder, the rough seams of his riding jacket poking my ear ever so slightly.

He looked down at me and then turned his head back to where he was staring before.

"Sorry. I am just tired.", I whispered.

"It is alright.", he whispered in return.

A sudden nudge on my shoulder shook me from my daydream. I turned away, aggravated.

Who was that boy? I saw his face in the dream but.....but I cannot remember his face now. All I know is that he had brown hair; but I felt so warm with him. Wait! He probably is not real! Stop dreaming and start living in reality, I thought.

"What?", I said, cross.

"Dinner is over. You ate everything on your platter.", said the Jarl.

"What? I have? I was in a daze the whole time!", I answered.

"No. You were talking with the men and ignoring me, as usual.", he motioned towards the men that were exiting the room, ducking under the short threshold.

"What happens after supper?", I asked.

"Dancing and singing.", he replied.

I came out to deck to see all of the men gathered around a blazing fire, stomping their feet and clapping their hands as they sang a song.

I hummed a Norse tune that my mother had taught me.

"Sing!", said the men in a friendly tone, including the Jarl.

"No. I do not sing.", I replied.

"No, you can sing! You sang with me on deck an hour ago, you can sing again!", said the Jarl.

A sudden movement of the boat made my stomach churn.

"Ugh!", I groaned as I leaned over the rail. The taste of acid rose in my throat as saliva filled my mouth.

"Uh-oh.", I moaned.

Acid and food roared out of me and into the ocean.

The Jarl tried to comfort me but I put my hand up behind me to signal him away.

"She is seasick!", yelled a man.

I wiped my mouth as one of the Jarl's men wrapped his arms around me and took me around the ship to visit the aid.

*****************

   "Here you are!", said the aid as she handed me a cup of hot soup.

"Do you really want me to eat? After all, eating is what made me seasick.", I coughed.

"There is more of underdone fish than illness about your little mishap.", whispered the aid, her dark hair brcoming lightened in the fire light.

I pulled the blanket tighter around my arms. "Will I be allowed to sleep here tonight?", I asked.

"Of course! Now lie down.", she said as she patted my back.

I laid down, my head resting on the hard pillow.

"Here they are!", she exclaimed while pulling out a needle and thread and waving them in the air.

"What is the purpose of that?", I whimpered.

"To sew up your wound, of course!", she motioned towards my collar bone.

She threaded the needle and tied a knot at the end of the thread while humming a lovely tune.

Without care of my fear, she stuck the needle through my raw flesh as I let out a scream of shock.

A/N:The dream at the beginning of the story is actually a dream that I have had in real life and my reaction to the dream was the same as Lagertha's. Looks like she has a love interest though, well if he's real. Don't forget to vote, comment, and follow me if you'd like.