Chapter 18

Jane Pov
The ambulance couldn't get here fast enough. When it did I carried Maura's lifeless body in the ambulance and they put her on a stretcher and put an IV in her. I sat with her trying not to cry. The doctor didn't wait anytime especially since we were caught in traffic. He took off the blanket revealing Maura's body. It looked pretty horrible.
"Put these on. Who knows how long traffic is going to take." The doctor gave me a mask and hair cover. He was going to stitch her right now. He cleaned the area and started stitching her gash on her breasts. It was pretty scary to watch. I held Maura's hand even though she was unconscious. Just in case she woke up. He stitched her up and covered her back with the blanket. We were still stuck in traffic.
"Can I procede to do a pelvic exam?" He looked at me.
"Yes." I hesitantly responded. He crammed his way to the other side of Maura. He spread her legs and she immediately woke up screaming.
"Stop!" She looked around petrified and locked eyes with me.
I looked at the doctor.
"Can this wait?" I asked him and he agreed and closed Maura's legs. She didn't look at me but she wasn't angry. She was nervous about something. I just couldn't tell what.
...
Maura Pov
It was like a reflex. I shot up out of a dark sleep because of how sensitive I was. It was pretty horrible. I glanced at Jane and she immediately told the doctor to stop. I couldn't look at Jane. I was afraid to tell her about suicide and about how I could possibly be pregnant. With Ian's child. She kept holding my hand even though I was ignoring her. The ambulance finally got to the hospital though and the doctors rushed me in. Away from Jane. after she reassured me that it would be alright. I instantly felt guilty that I was ignoring.
...
Jane Pov
"I'll see you in a bit. It's gonna be okay." I whispered to my wife and squeezed her hand one last time. She didn't even look at me. My heart wrenched. I don't know why she doesn't want to talk to me. Does she think I did something wrong? It was almost midnight though and I hoped she would talk to me. Maybe if she's able to come home tonight....
I was lost in worry when I heard Maura shriek.
"Stop touching me! Go away!" I ran to where her room was to help her.
Sure enough they were trying to give her the pelvic exam to get a rape kit and see how bad the damage actually was. She didn't want it though.
"Um doctor can I talk to you?" I looked at the doctor and back at Maura. She still wasn't looking at me.
"Okay what's up." The doctor walked out of the room with me.
"Can she get an exam another day? Please let her come home. We know who did it anyway so it won't matter with evidence. He is also dead." I looked at the doctor pleadingly and he gave in.
"Okay." He sighed as he called a nurse to dismiss Maura.