Chapter 19

Maura Pov
The nurse came into my room and detached the IV from me and told me I was going home. That means I would have to face Jane. As much as I loved her I just wasn't ready for so much stress. It was 1 am by this point when I actually got into Jane's car and we started to leave the parking lot. I stayed looking out the window to avoid contact.
"You okay?" I heard Jane whisper and she looked at me with worried eyes. I looked at her back and slowly nodded as she took my hand and squeezed it. I felt really bad for not wanting to talk to her but I didn't understand what the big deal was either. It was so confusing. I looked down at the hospital robe they sent me home in and couldn't decide on a scale of how ugly it was so I drifted to sleep in the car.
...
Jane Pov
I noticed that Maura still was almost avoiding me on the way home and I really wasn't sure why. At least Ellen was with Ma for a few days. I looked over and I saw that she was sleeping and gently stroked her bruised face. I hope she will talk to me soon. She's probably traumatized yet again because of it and I don't think how much she realizes she means to me. We pulled into the garage and I walked over to the other side of the car to where Maura was. I opened the door and gently kissed her forehead.
"Maura sweetie, we're home now let's get you in bed." I whispered to her as she slowly woke up and followed me inside. We went to our room and she layed down but I wouldn't want to sleep in the hospital gown so I grabbed a tank, underwear, and pajama shorts and brought them over to her.
"Do you want me to put these on you?" I asked her and to my surprise she nodded her head yes and I started to untie the gown. When it fell to the floor, I could help but stare at Maura's battered body. I didn't stare to long because she probably would've felt uncomfortable if I continued to stare. I put her pajamas on and she layed down in a way so her back would be facing me. I sighed as I went to brush my teeth and throw my pajamas on. When I came back, she was already asleep and I crawled next to her and started playing with her hair lovingly.
"I love you Maura." I said to her and as if it was barely a whisper, Maura said back to me, "I love you too."