Chapter 31

Jane Pov
Maura and I had fallen asleep together and her naked body was curled up on mine and my arms were wrapped around her. It was a peaceful silence as she huddled close to me when all of a sudden she shot up screaming.
"Stop! Don't touch me!" Tears were streaming down her face as she covered her eyes with her hands and I sat up behind her.
"Maura, baby, you okay?" I ran my hand on her back massaging it. I figured she had another nightmare.
"Jane.." Maura whispered as she allowed me to pull her into my body and lay back down.
I pushed her hair out of her tear drawn face and realized she was looking down at her chest. She was staring at the scar on her breasts that would be there for the rest of her life. I saw another tear fall and I lifted her chin so she would look at me.
"Maura. Are you listening?" I looked at my wife as she nodded.
"You are amazing and no matter what anyone does or had done to you, that doesn't change. I love you for who you are. Not what you look like. Okay?" I kissed her gently and touched her breasts along the scar. Maura looked at me with embarrassment in her eyes as I ran my finger along the scar.
"I love you." I whispered gently. She didn't look at me and continued to look at the mark.
"It's not very attractive. Isn't it." She sighed and I felt bad.
"Maura, it's beautiful because it's part of you and that's all that matters." I ran my fingers along it and she came closer to me and layed on my breasts like she used to.
"Jane?" She looked up at me.
"Yes Maura?" I kissed her forehead.
"I love you." She smiled at me and wrapped her arms around my body. My skin tingled at her touch.
"I love you too baby."
...
Maura Pov
It was nice to have my arms around Jane again. I felt protected. Studies did show that-. Oh whatever, as long as I'm with Jane I'm in a good spot. it's moments like this that I wish could last forever, I was holding onto Jane while her one arm was wrapped around me, and her other was playing with hair. I shifted a little and realized that she hadn't said anything about the slight bruising that was still on my pelvic region. They should've healed but they weren't healing.
"Tootsie did you notice any bruising?" I looked up at Jane. She furrowed her eyebrows and shook her head.
"Wasn't paying attention to that." She responded.
I felt a little uneasy asking her to see if they were still there. Jane had said that nothing ever mattered though, that if I needed something to just say it.
"Could you possibly.. um.. look?" I hesitantly said and without even a second thought Jane smiled. "Sure."
She sat up and I could see the outline of her naked body scoot to the end of the bed. She gently lifted the blanket and gingerly opened my legs.
"Umm Maura?" Jane ran her hand along my inner thigh.
"Is it that bad?" I looked at Jane anxiously.
Jane glanced up at me.
"It's really black and blue. I know it wasn't like this earlier. Maybe we should go to a doctor sometime soon." She continued to stroke my inner thigh in concern.
"We also have to figure out the adoption of Ellen. She's with my mom right now and she will stay there until you are ready." Jane continued to look down my leg which made me smile how gentle she was being. I love her so much.