Prologue

Kailie's POV

~October 15th 2008~

Pulling up to a warehouse in Downtown Chicago, I observe my surroundings. I'm on my way to kill one of the city's most dangerous supernatural creatures, Jake Collins. He's considered to be the King of Vampires here. Yeah, and I'm the Queen of Sheba. 

There is going to be one problem. He's going to be very difficult to kill. At all times, he has vampire bodyguards surrounding him. This isn't going to be fun whatsoever.  

Before exiting my car, I pocket a few stakes and my gun with wooden bullets. It's better to be safe than sorry especially with dozens of vampires to kill. I slowly sneak my way up to the warehouse and enter through a side door. 

Once I'm inside, I notice that there are no vampires to be seen. What happened to his protection detail? They're usually scattered all over the place. Brushing the thought aside, I continue my journey up to the vampire.

Carefully, I make my way through the many floors to find Jake but find no vampires. Where in the hell are they? Is he trying to make this easy for me? 

"Yes, yes. I will be able to kill this little brat so that we can move on with our plan." I hear him explain into his phone, as I approach the room he's in. "She'll be dead within the next few hours." 

He quickly finishes his conversation, closing his flip phone and placing it into his pocket. He walks out of my line of sight, while I position my hand onto my gun. Now's my chance to finish this. 

Without warning, I get pushed up against the wall with Jake's hand latching onto my throat. I begin to flail my arms around, trying to get him to release me. Jake chuckles menacingly at my failed attempts and tightens his grip.

"Puny hunter, did you really think you had a chance against a vampire like me? You humans really are pathetic..." he utters, shaking his head slightly. My vision begins to fade in and out, and my limbs are beginning to feel heavy. An idea pops into my head, and I weakly smirk up at the asshole.

"Yeah...but at least we aren't stupid..." I state, before raising my leg high enough to kick him between his legs. Groaning in pain, he lets go of my throat and falls backwards. While he recovers from my hit, I inhale gasps of air, trying to steady my breathing. 

"You little bit-"  he grits out, before I punch him in the face. I know it's not going to do much, but at least it will shut him up.

Jake falls backwards but quickly recovers enough to knock me to the ground. I instantly get up and start to attack him every way that I know how. After about ten minutes of us fighting, he manages to pin me to the ground, acting like he's ready to kill me. My head is spinning and my vision is going in and out once again. I probably have a concussion by now.

"Have any last words, human?"  Jake teasingly asks me, knowing that I'm too weak to fight back anymore. I begin coughing, as blood comes out of my mouth. 

"F-fuck you..." I stutter out, before closing my eyes to await the sweet release of death. After a few seconds of nothing happening, I hear a chuckle. Ah crap.

"Oh did you think I was just going to kill you? No, no, no... I'm not that nice..." he explains to me, smirking at my weakened state. Before I can do anything, he bites into his wrist and puts it up to my mouth, making me drink his blood.

After he thinks that I've ingested enough, Jake pulls his wrist away and moves his hands back up to my neck. Well this is going to hurt. 

"Goodbye, human. Or should I say 'vampire'." Jake comments, before my entire world turns to black.