Chapter 31

Kailie's POV

Kol is never going to let me drive again. During our entire trip from Mystic Falls, I sped through hundreds of traffic lights, almost gotten into a few accidents, and went about 100 mph on the highway. And that's just halfway to our destination. Speaking of which, we're here! 

Approaching a nearby park, I pull into a spot and stop the engine. I glance over at my husband to see him gripping the dash in fear. I think I may have given him a heart attack. Oh well. Chuckling at him, I climb out of the car and walk into the park. 

Looking around the area, I search to find the reason why I'm here, and locate him playing with a golden retriever. I slowly walk over to the pair and sit down on the bench behind them. They seem to be playing tug of war, and the dog is winning. I lightly chuckle, alerting him to my presence. 

His eyes widen in surprise and fear, as he drops the chew toy. I probably should've expected this reaction after I tried to have him killed. 

"Kailie?" he questions, as I hear his heartrate speed up. Oh boy. Well this should be fun. Sending him an apologetic smile, I nod my head. 

"Hi, Jeremy." I greet him, slightly waving. My brother glances around the park, most likely trying to plan his escape. I let out a heavy sigh and fold my hands. "Can we talk for a minute? I promise I won't try to kill you...again."

Jeremy reluctantly agrees and sits down next to me. His dog chews on his toy some more, as I lean up in my seat. My eyes quickly land on a family having a picnic to our right. The three children are playing with their food, while the parents glance down at them with love in their eyes. Wish all of the Gilberts were like that. 

"Do you remember when we were younger, and the two of us would play soccer out in the backyard?" I ask out of the blue. Out of the corner of my eye, I notice Jeremy raise his eyebrows. In his defense, he was only five. 

"We would have so much fun that it took Mom and Dad forever to get us to sleep. We used to be so close." I admit, feeling tears threaten to fall from my eyes. Brushing the water out of my eyelids, I notice Jeremy nod. 

"I think I remember. Elena would always stay inside and color, while we played outside." my brother recollects, while my body tenses up at the mention of her name. Turning to my left to face him, I sadly smile at Jeremy.

"But do you remember why we stopped?" I question him, earning a frown and confused look in response. He doesn't know. Why am I not surprised? Clearing my throat, I begin to remind my brother.

"We stopped because of the day Elena joined us." I grit out, choking back vomit at saying her name. "That afternoon, we started playing once we returned from school. After about ten minutes, Elena asked if she could join. You agreed, so I sent the ball over to her. As she went to kick it, our sister tripped and fell onto her face. She began bawling her eyes out, causing Mom and Dad to join the three of us in the backyard. Elena accused me of tripping her, and our parents immediately took her side. Then they forbade me from playing with you again and sent me off to stay at Tyler's house for the next two weeks. You wouldn't even talk to me for the longest time after that."

I see a mixture of confused and surprise pass over his face, causing me to nod and turn away from him. Jeremy knows the truth now. It's just up to him about how he takes it. 

When my brother doesn't say anything for the next couple of minutes, I stand up to leave and turn towards my car. Before I can take a step, Jeremy's voice echoes from behind me.

"I remember that day. Elena was angry that we were having fun together, so she made you suffer." he starts off, while I freeze in my spot. Tears fill my eyes once more, as I try wiping them away. "Kailie, I am so sorry."

Turning back around, I see Jeremy standing there with similar sad expression on his face. He appears to be really sorry about what happened. Sighing, I walk closer to him and place one of my hands on his arm.

"Jeremy, it's not your fault. Elena is the one to blame." I admit to my brother, sadly smiling up at him. Without warning, Jeremy engulfs me in a bone crushing hug. I am really glad that I'm a vampire. Otherwise, I would be in the hospital right now. 

After a few seconds, I relax and hug him back. We stay in this position a little while longer, before my brother's dog barks at us. The two of us chuckle at the canine and break apart to pet it. 

"And who is this?" I question playfully, scratching behind the dog's ears. Its leg bounces up and down from the action, causing my brother and I to laugh again. 

"Her name is Sandy. The family friends I'm living with got me her as a welcome present." he explains, while Sandy paws at us to pet her more. She is so adorable! Jeremy and I continue talking, until I hear a new voice enter our conversation. 

"I was wondering where you were, darling. You've been gone for a while." my husband states, before leaning down to kiss me. I give him a quick peck and break away to see Jeremy with a confused look on his face. Well this will be fun to explain. 

"Oh right! Jeremy, this is Kol my...boyfriend. Kol, this is my younger brother Jeremy." I introduce them, gesturing back and forth between them. 

The two shake hands and begin a civil conversation, causing me to let out a sigh of relief. I honestly thought Kol was going to be a dick to him. Thankfully, I haven't been able to tell my husband about my life as Kailie yet. I've been putting it off as much as possible. 

After a long conversation between the three of us, Kol and I say goodbye to my brother and his dog, and leave to go back to my car. With how long we were in that park, I need a couple blood bags. It took all I had to not attack someone nearby. Ever since I turned my humanity back on, it's been getting harder and harder to not drain any human I see. 

"Well tonight has definitely been eventful. Don't you think so, love?" my husband asks me, linking out hands together. His grip tightens as we pass by a group of teenagers, causing me to sigh in realization. He knows. This will be a fun conversation for later. 

Thankfully, it doesn't take us that long to reach the car. Kol takes the keys from me and steps over to the driver's side. After he unlocks all the doors, we both climb into the vehicle. As I buckle my seatbelt, I see the lock for my door slide down. Turning to face my husband, I see a worried look plastered on his face. Well I guess that right now is later.

"I'm fine, Kol. I promise." I attempt to reassure him, causing my husband to let out a snort. Crossing his arms, he shakes his head.

"If you were fine, veins wouldn't have been under your face as we passed those teens." he comments, sending me another look of concern. I remain silent, not knowing what to say. He's not wrong to be worried. 

Sighing from my lack of speaking, Kol turns to face the windshield and starts the car. Folding my hands, I keep my eyes focused on my lap. Before he pulls away from the parking spot, I hear him mutter something.

"We're not done with this conversation. Something's wrong, and I will find out."