Chapter 5

Kailie's POV

The entire car ride to the party is filled with silence and me staring out the window. I just want this night to be over with as soon as possible. The sooner the better. By time Bonnie reaches the party, the sun has set and made way for stars to fill the night sky. She parks the car, and the four of us pile out of it. From here, I can smell the stench of cheap beer and drunk teenagers.

"So where are we anyways?" I ask my friends, keeping my eyes focused on the house in front of me. From the corner of my eye, I spot Caroline smile at me and loop her arm through Tyler's.

"This is the Salvatore Boarding House where Damon lives." she explains, as I tense up. Just great. Now I get to deal with a pissed off Salvatore brother.

"But why would he be throwing a par-" I begin to ask but cut myself off when I realize the answer. My friends send me sympathetic looks, but I ignore them. "The party's for Elena, isn't it?"

They stay silent but nod in response. Figures. Why else would a party be thrown in this town today? Not only will I have to deal with Damon tonight, but now Elena and Jeremy have been thrown into the mix. Tyler senses my apprehension and moves in front of me, causing me to narrow my eyes up at him.

"Kai, this is the last night you're going to be here. For one night, can you please have some fun and enjoy tonight?" he pleads with me, making the look on my face soften. 

He has a good point. I only have to deal with them for one night, and then I'll be gone. I'll never have to deal with them again. Sighing, I glance at my friends.

"Fine! Let's get this shit over with!" I exclaim, before the four of us make our way to the front door. 

As we step inside, the cheap alcohol smell increases and makes me want to throw up. From living with my witch friend for three years and working in her bar, I've become spoiled to good alcohol. I'll have to hunt down some of Damon's good stuff. It's got to be somewhere in this hellhole. 

"I'm gonna go get a drink." I inform my friends, before splitting off from the group. They nod and begin mingling with the drunken teenagers. Surprisingly, it doesn't take me long to find it in the parlor. The only problem is that I have to make my way through a crowd of drunken teenagers to reach it. What a surprise...

After I squeeze my way through the crowd, I pour myself a glass of whiskey. I drink all of it, before spotting Damon standing up by the entrance to the lounge. Well he seems bored. Maybe I should go test the waters. Setting my glass down on a nearby table, I sneak up behind him and step to his right side.

"Want come company?" I offer, watching him quickly turn to me with fury in his eyes. Damon drags me upstairs by my arm and pulls me into a bedroom. Before I can react, he pushes me up against the wall by my throat. I have to act like I'm a human, so I start loudly gasping for air. 

"What do you want?" Damon questions, demanding an immediate answer. I grab at his arms to drop me, and he eventually catches on. "Oh right."

The Salvatore brother releases his grip on my throat, and I take in deep inhales of air to mimic a human reaction. Man, I am so glad I'm a vampire. Once I catch my breath, I glare up at Damon.

"I just wanted to talk, but apparently I can't do that without getting slammed against the wall!" I exclaim, waving my arms around. He rolls his eyes and loudly sighs.

"Well maybe I wouldn't have done that if you hadn't tried to poison me with vervain." Damon bites back, causing me to roll my eyes. It's not my fault he drank it.

"That's not my fault. If you hadn't stolen my drink, you wouldn't have ingested the vervain. You were the dum-" I try explaining to the vampire, before he pushes me up against the wall and attacks my lips with his. Well okay then.

We make out for a bit, before I hear the door to the bedroom open. The two of us pull apart to see Ms. Birthday Girl herself standing in the entrance with a shocked look on her face. Oh boy.

"Kailie?"

"Hello, bitch."