Chapter 21

Kailie's POV

While collecting my thoughts, I see one of Valerie's hands be held out in front of me. I take it and feel myself be pulled up from the ground. Before I can thank the witch, I hear a familiar ringtone sound from my phone. Viva La Vida by Coldplay continues to loop, until I pull out my phone and answer the call. 

"What do you want, Niklaus?" I grit out, annoyed at my brother-in-law. I hear a slight chuckle from the other end of the call, before his voice comes through. 

"I need you back in Mystic Falls. We have a bit of a situation here." the Original Hybrid explains, raising the pitch of his voice slightly. He better not try to piss me off. I just got my memories back, and I remember everything. 

Instead of responding, I end the call and repocket my phone. I turn back to Valerie to thank her, but she just waves me off with a smile. Gratefully nodding, I speed out of her house and off to my car. I quickly climb inside of my car and drive off towards Mystic Falls.

By the time I make it back to the godforsaken town, it's late at night. Apparently, I was at Valerie's house for most of the afternoon. At least there's not many people crowding the streets. Pulling into the driveway of Niklaus' mansion, I see a few hybrids fleeing the property. Wait...didn't Stefan force my brother-in-law to send them all away? What is going on here?

I park my car and quickly make my way into the mansion. Once inside, I hear a conversation between two familiar male voices. One of them is obviously Niklaus, but I don't immediately recognize the other man. 

Walking into the parlor, it only takes me a few seconds to identify him. He's holding a bloody, hybrid heart right now, but he still looks as he did a thousand years ago. As he turns to face me, his eyes widen in shock. 

"Astrid?" 

"Hello, Elijah."

~~~

As much as I want to join my brother-in-laws' riveting conversation about Mystic Falls gossip, I am tired from the day's activities, so I go up to bed. I hear their argument for the next few hours, but I tune it out for sleep. At one point, I feel a sharp pain in my chest, but it fades away after a few minutes. 

The next morning, I walk downstairs to see Niklaus compelling some workers to fix a broken door. Man...Elijah definitely got mad last night. Once I walk up behind him, the Original Hybrid turns around and smiles down at me.

"Good morning, Kailie. Or should I call you sister from now on?" he taunts, causing me to glare at him. Without any warning, I pick up a nearby boxcutter and throw it into the wall next to his head. Seeing my brother-in-law flinch at the sudden attack, I smirk and make my way into the kitchen. I need at least two blood bags to deal with that dickhead again. After a few minutes of peaceful silence, my other brother-in-law interrupts it. 

"Astrid, we need to talk." Elijah states, sliding a piece of paper in front of me. Narrowing my eyes at him, I pick up the note and hold it closer to me. 

"I have a plan to free my siblings, and I need your help. Go along with my conversation. Niklaus is most likely listening in."

My eyes widen at the words, while Elijah nods in confirmation.  Passing over another note to me, he begins a conversation with me to keep Niklaus from interrupting us. 

"So I hear that you go by Kailie now." my brother-in-law starts off, while I read the new note. 

"Niklaus cannot know about this plan. I am working with the Salvatores to distract my brother during dinner tonight. While Niklaus is distracted, Damon and I will undagger my other siblings. I need your help to keep him from discovering this plan, while we retrieve them."

Nodding along with his words, I glance up at Elijah with a serious look on my face. Whatever it takes to free Kol, I'm in. He's my husband. I'll do anything I have to do to free him. Elijah understands my message, giving me a brief nod. 

"It's just the name Miranda and Grayson Gilbert gave me. Besides, I only just got my memories back. It would be weird if I changed my name suddenly." I explain to the Original, who nods in understanding. Elijah moves to leave the kitchen and doesn't come back.

Grabbing an extra blood bag from the refrigerator, I leave the kitchen and head back upstairs to my room. Once up there, I quickly finish and dispose of the bag, before leaving to find Niklaus. If I'm going to be attending this dinner tonight, I need to go shopping. 

~~~

After a day of shopping, I return home and begin getting ready for the world's worst dinner party. I take a quick shower, before picking out a long-sleeved, tan jumpsuit with matching stilettos. Once I'm finished getting ready, I walk downstairs to see Damon and Stefan standing in the foyer. 

"Damon, Stefan. Elijah tells me you seek an audience. Very bold. Let's discuss the terms of our agreement like civilized men, shall we?" Niklaus explains, gesturing towards the table. Damon glances over at Elijah in disbelief. Before my brother-in-law can reply, I chime into the conversation.

"It's best to indulge him." I state, entering the room and passing by the Salvatore brothers. Elijah follows after and stands next to me. Both of the Salvatores look surprised at my appearance and take a minute to respond.

"I didn't, uh, come here to eat, Klaus. In fact, I didn't want to come here at all. But I was told I had to, 'cause you would hear us out." Stefan informs my annoying brother-in-law, while the latter smirks at him. Rolling my eyes at the younger vampire, I speak up.

"Hmm. Well, we can sit and eat, or I can reach down your throats and pull out your insides." I inform the younger Salvatore, pulling out a chair and sitting down. "Choice is yours."

Stefan glares at me for a moment, before him and his brother join us at the table. Finally it's time to eat. I've been starving all day.

 I've been starving all day