Chapter 19

Kailie's POV

Nik and I are currently standing outside of Caroline's house to help save her. After I got the call from Matt, all of my emotions rushed back to me at once. I felt like I could break at any moment. On the drive over, Nik managed to call me down and got me to focus on the reason the human teen called me in the first place. Caroline. 

Whether or not we're friends, I still deeply care for her and don't want her to get hurt. She's one of my oldest friends, and in my eyes, she always will be. If I find out who did this to her, I'll kill them. 

Looking into the house, I spot Matt slowly walking up to the door and staring through it. He's sporting a glare towards Nik and I, but the teenager opens the entrance anyways. The look of hatred he's holding almost immediately drops at the sight of my tears.

"We came as quick as we could. What happened to her?" I question the teen, wiping away more tears. Matt, who looks to be on the verge of tears himself, shifts his glare towards Nik.

"Your friend over there made Tyler bite Caroline at her birthday party." Matt explains, causing me to join him in glaring at the Original. "You made him do this to her. He would have never done something like this."

As much as I want to hurt him right now, I fight back my anger to keep myself from punching Nik in the face. Right now my main priority is helping Caroline.

"I'm here to help, Matt. My blood will heal her. Please ask the Sheriff to invite us inside." Nik pleads with the human, obviously holding back tears. He must feel sorry for what he did, but that doesn't change the past. Glancing behind Matt, I see Sheriff Forbes standing there and staring at the three of us.

"I know how this game works. You want something in return." she mutters apprehensively, as Nik shakes his head.

"Not this time." he explains, looking over at my depressed state. Sheriff Forbes' eyes follow and soften at the sight of me.

"Come in." she instructs the two of us, before I run into the house at a human speed. Quickly locating my friend in her room, I kneel down next to her bed. She feels my presence and opens her eyes. They quickly fill up with tears, and mine do the same.

"I didn't think you would come." Caroline whispers, as I attempt to wipe my tears away. It doesn't work, and more escape before I can do anything.

"Of course I would come. I'll always come. Care, you're one of my only friends in this town, even if we're on the outs. You're one of the only people who's cared about me over the past eighteen years." I blurt out, causing her to laugh with a light sob. Before she could say anything else, I see her glance behind me, and her gaze harden.

"Are you going to kill me?" Caroline questions, causing me to look behind me and see Nik standing there with a hurt expression on his face.

"On your birthday? Do you really think that low of me?" Nik asks her stunned at the question, as I stand up and move out of the way.

"Yes." she replies bluntly, making me smile down at my friend. If this wasn't a scary situation, I would be laughing right now. Nik slowly walks over to her and examines her bite mark, as my gaze hardened. If I see Tyler in the next couple days, I will murder him. Whether or not he meant to, he's almost killed Caroline.

"Oh that looks bad. My apologies. You're what's known as collateral damage. It's nothing personal." Nik states, before I smack him on the back of his head. He's lucky that I'm not doing any worse right now. The Original Hybrid gives me an offended look, while Caroline lightly chuckles. Glancing down at a charm bracelet on my friend's arm, Nik continues.

"I love birthdays." he states, smiling down at the younger vampire. I love birthdays too, but I don't celebrate them much. The only thing I do for my birthday is buy myself a cupcake and a bottle of bourbon.

"Yeah. Aren't you like a billion or something?" Caroline sarcastically retorts, causing me to chuckle. Nik glances back at me and gives me a playful glare, before turning back to Caroline.

"We have to adjust your perception of time when you become a vampire, Caroline. Celebrate the fact that you're no longer bound by trivial human conventions." he explains, as I smile at their interaction. "You're free."

"No. I'm dying." Caroline abruptly states, causing me to frown. Well at least Nik was trying to cheer her up. It just didn't work out very well. Nik sits down next to Caroline on the bed and leans down closer to her.

"And I could let you die...if that's what you want. If you really believe your existence has no meaning. I've thought about it myself once or twice over the centuries, truth be told." Nik starts off, leaning down closer to her again. "But I'll let you in on a little secret. There's a whole world out there waiting for you. Great cities and art and music...Genuine beauty, and you can have all of it. You can have a thousand more birthdays. All you have to do is ask."

During Nik's speech, Caroline and I both tear up again from the deep meaning of his words. Damn. I never knew that he could be sentimental. She takes a few moments to compose herself, before glancing up at Nik with tear-filled eyes.

"I don't want to die." she pleads, her voice cracking in and out. Nik scrunches up his jacket on his arm, getting ready to bite into his wrist. Lightly pulling Caroline up from her spot on the bed, the Original pulls her close and beckons for her to bite into his wrist.

"There you go, sweetheart. Have at it." he states, before the younger vampire uses her fangs to attack his wrist. "Happy birthday, Caroline." After a few seconds of her sucking his blood, the wound on Caroline's chest heals up, and her skin brightens up significantly.

Eventually, Caroline pulls away and leans back onto the bed. Standing up from his spot, Nik begins heading towards the door. I stay where I am, wanting to speak to the birthday girl alone. When he realizes that I haven't moved an inch, the Original Hybrid glances back at me with a confused expression on his face.

"Meet me out by the truck. Caroline and I need to have a quick chat." I explain to Nik, who nods in response and leaves the house. The birthday girl sits up in bed, as I lean down next to her. Before I could utter a single word out of my mouth, she pops up.

"Kailie, I don't think that there are enough words in the English language for me to tell you this. I am really sorry for what I did after Senior Prank Night. I was just so angry about Tyler turning into a hybrid that I blamed you. It also didn't help that Elena and Bonnie pretty much turned me against you too. I am sorry for shunning you, and I will understand it if you don't want to be friends again."

I feel my jaw drop and my eyes widen at her mini-speech. I honestly don't think that Caroline has ever apologized that much to me before. Actually, I don't think she's ever apologized to me before. After taking a few moments to recompose myself, I grasp her hands and give her a soft smile.

"I'm not going to say that everything is fine, and you didn't hurt me. But I also know that I was a bitch to you without my humanity. And if you're willing to, we can look past it all and be friends again. Care, you're part of the only family I have left. My true family. And after tonight, I learned that I don't want to even think about losing you again."

As I finish saying the last word, Caroline attacks me with a hug, knocking me back a little bit. I quickly embrace her back, and we both laugh. We continue talking for a few more minutes, before I get up and leave to go out to the truck. As soon as I enter the vehicle, my once happy and positive mood turns sourer.

"What the fuck, Nik?"