Chapter 16

Kailie's POV

While I'm asleep, Nik drives us off to where he's keeping his siblings...in coffins. Well minus Rebekah. We have no idea where she is. As we walk towards the Original Hybrid's storage truck, he attempts to call his sister one last time. Just like the twenty times before, she doesn't answer.

"Rebekah, where are you? Pick up the phone, darling. Daddy's dead. It's time for a family reunion." Nik whines, leaving her a voicemail. Once he's done, the Original Hybrid closes his phone and attempts to place it back into his pocket. However, he gets another call soon after we reach the truck.

"Stefan, miss me already?" Nik greets the younger vampire with a smile on his face. Rolling my eyes, I scoff at the mention of the Salvatore. Whether or not Nik trusts him after last night, I still feel that Stefan is up to something. Something is not sitting right with me.

"I'm just calling to thank you for my freedom." Stefan explains, while I narrow my eyes at the phone. What was this idiot planning now?

"I like to believe I'm a man of my word. More or less." the Original Hybrid details, while I scoff at his comment. Nik jokingly punches my arm and lightly chuckles. Well someone is in a good mood now.

"The thing is, it came at too high of a price. You took everything from me, Klaus." Stefan expresses, while his voice gets darker and more menacing. I narrow my eyes once more, as the Original Hybrid and I approach the truck.

"Let bygones be bygones. Trust me, resentment gets old." Nik tells him, before unlocking the latch to the storage container.

"You know what never gets old? Revenge." Stefan questions, as the Original Hybrid pulls up the latch to reveal an empty truck. Oh boy. Nik is not going to be happy about this.

"No." he grumbles, sporting a murderous look on his face. Stefan Salvatore, you are a dead man walking.

"What's the matter, Klaus? Missing something?" the moronic vampire taunts Nik, causing me to rip the phone out of the Original's hand. It's my turn now.

"Listen here, Stefan. If I find you, I'm going to stake you, dismember your body, and send the pieces back to your friends and family. So you either tell me where the coffins are right now, or I'm coming after you, and I won't stop until everyone you care about is dead." I threaten the Salvatore, before spotting an evil smirk appearing on Nik's face.

All I hear is silence from the other end of the line. It wouldn't surprise me if Stefan is pissing his pants right now. Smirking at the thought, I continue.

"Well okay then. Game on."

~~~

A few days later, Nik and I are back in Mystic Falls to lure Stefan out into the open. I am currently searching through this godforsaken town for a location on the younger Salvatore. I can definitely confirm that he's not been at the bar in the Mystic Grill. I've been sitting here drinking for a good hour now, and he has not walked in the door yet.

Before I can take another sip, I feel my phone vibrate in pocket. I take it out and see that Nik has texted me to initiate our backup plan. Well this should be fun. I swallow the rest of my whiskey and call my target.

"There he is! So that thing I told you to do. Why don't you go ahead and get on with it." I compel the person, before hanging up my phone and placing into back into my pocket. I swallow the rest of my alcohol and leave the bar. Once I'm outside, I speed off towards Nik's mansion to relax.

It doesn't take me long to arrive and navigate through the crowd of hybrids up to my room. Once there, I enter my bedroom and flop down onto my bed. Pulling my phone out, I play a few rounds of Angry Birds.

After a while, I hear a commotion from downstairs and leave my room to go investigate. Walking down to the future living room, I see Nik and one of his hybrids having a heated conversation. I immediately recognize the woman as one of his hybrids Mindy. She's the one who restrained and staked me during the fight with Mikael. She's a dead woman walking.

Once Nik sees me glaring at his hybrid, he leads me over to him and quickly finishes his conversation with her.

"Compel the men to open up this wall. We need sun. I want a fortress, not a dungeon." the Original Hybrid instructs her, before shooing her out of the room. I glare at her retreating figure until she completely disappears from my sight.

Suddenly, Tyler walks into the room and frowns at the sight of me. Rolling my eyes at the hybrid, I relax my body, causing Nik to let go of me. This is the first time that I've seen Tyler since he became a hybrid a few weeks ago, and somehow he seems more stupid than before. Vampirism has not been kind to the Lockwood. Eventually, Tyler's attention shifts to the Original Hybrid standing next to me.

"So everything went ok?" Tyler asks Nik about the Gilbert situation. Upon hearing that question, a frown appears on my face. The plan didn't go exactly how I wanted it to. My target hit the wrong guy. At least he ran over someone though.

"Tony ran down Alaric instead of Jeremy, but apples, oranges. Message learns the same." I detail to Tyler, smirking at the shocked look on his face. Nik lets out a chuckle and leans up against the nearby table.

"You said you were sending them a warning." Tyler states, confused by this whole ordeal. To be fair, we did send them a warning. It just wasn't a peaceful one. Oops.

"And we did--an effective one. Elena's family suffers, she's motivated to get us what we want." the Original Hybrid explains, clapping his hand onto the hybrid's shoulder. Tyler turns to me, somehow even more shocked than before.

"And you're okay with this? What about Caroline and Bonnie? They're your friends, Kailie!" he exclaims, causing me to shrug my shoulders.

What about them? Those two shunned me after the high school incident. They joined my list of my least favorite people in this town. Instead of responding again, Tyler turns back to Nik with a look of disbelief on his face.

"I didn't think that we'd actually have to kill anyone." the hybrid admits, causing Nik to sigh and me to roll my eyes. Did he really think that we were going to invite them for a tea party? Of course we have to kill people. It's the best way to get your point across.

"Tyler, mate. What you're feeling is the remnant of a guilty conscience. I need you to get over it, okay?" Nik commands him, wrapping one of his arms around my shoulders. I push it off, as the three of us walk to the other end of the room. "End of the day, human life is just a means to an end--our means to our end. You'd do well to remember that."

Guiding me along, Nik leads us to another part of the mansion to oversee more renovations. Yay. This is so much fun. Where's Jack Daniels when I need him?

 Where's Jack Daniels when I need him?