Chapter 26

Kailie's POV

I have made a mistake. I have made several mistakes, but this is the worst one yet. I am never going to attempt to teach Kol about electronics again. 

After Caroline hung up on me, I took my husband to get him a cellphone. I quickly 'bought' the device and left. Once the two of us got home, it took Kol four hours to figure out how to text someone. I was losing my mind the whole time.

A few hours later, I'm finishing up the bare necessities I need for makeup, when I hear a knock at my bedroom door. I turn around in my seat, as the person opens the door and walks through. Rebekah is standing at the entryway all dressed up for the ball. She has an impatient look on her face, crossing her arms at the sight of me.

"Why are you still not dressed? Guests are already arriving!" she exclaims, while I chuckle and throw on my jewelry. After clasping my necklace on, I stand up from my seat and walk over to my closet. Grabbing my black maxi dress and matching heels, I turn back to my sister-in-law. 

"Give me a minute, and I'll be back out." I tell her, before rushing into the bathroom. I quickly change into the dress and step into the shoes. Looking in the mirror, I flatten out any wrinkles in the material and leave to deal with Rebekah. That will be fun.

When I exit the bathroom, she's still standing by the door, tapping her foot against the ground. Can't say that I'm surprised. In the thousand years that I've known her, my sister-in-law has to be the most impatient person I've ever met. Once she sees me, Rebekah stops and smiles in approval at my appearance. I walk over to her, and the two of us exit the room.

Once we're outside of my bedroom, I can hear the crowd of people downstairs. Yay. More humans I have to interact with. Why can't I just get some Jack Daniels and spend the night with Kol in our room? That would be much better than the torture I'm about to go through for a few hours. 

Sensing my hesitation, Rebekah loops her arm through mine and leads me over to the stairs. At the bottom of them, I notice the Mikaelson brothers standing and greeting guests as they enter. My sister-in-law smirks at me, before the two of us make our way down the staircase. 

Elijah and Finn are the first to notice, grinning at the sight of us. Nik follows soon after, as a smile spreads over his face. Kol is busy greeting a local doctor and doesn't seem to notice us at first. However, it doesn't take him long to feel our presence and turn around to face us. 

Quickly finishing up his conversation with the doctor, Kol saunters over to the staircase and holds out a hand to me. Rebekah quickly leaves to go find her date, while I place my hand in my husband's.

"You look beautiful." he musters out, clearly awestruck at my appearance. Grinning from his comment, I go to respond but see Salvatore #1 with Mrs. Lockwood. Wanting to save my friend's mother from Damon's stupidity, I drag Kol over to the two. 

"Mayor Lockwood," my husband greets, lightly grabbing her hand and kissing the palm of it. "We've haven't formally met. Kol Mikaelson. I hope your lovely town embraces us just as much as we plan to embrace it."

Mrs. Lockwood smiles over at me, while my husband wraps his arm around my waist. Damon holds out his hand to introduce himself, and I roll my eyes.

"Damon Salvatore." the moron addresses, obviously holding back a glare. Kol keeps his hand to himself and curiously glances at the younger vampire. "Have we met?" 

As much as I want to tell the older Salvatore brother off, Esther would have my head if I insinuated a fight. It's best if I don't say a word to him and his brother. 

"I've met a lot of people, and you don't particularly stand out." Kol explains, removing his arm from my waist and looping it through mine. I bit my tongue to keep me from laughing, while I see Damon roll his eyes. Giving Mrs. Lockwood one last smile, I let Kol lead me over to other guests.

A little while later, I notice Caroline walk in and glance around the room. Sending her a soft smile, I watch her saunter down to Niklaus and begin a short conversation with him. She quickly leaves my brother-in-law, whose eyes follow her across the room. Go Caroline!

"Uh, if everyone could gather, please." I hear Elijah's voice resound throughout the room. Kol and I quickly end our conversation with a guest, and my husband leads me up the staircase with his siblings. 

I can hear a few murmurs from the crowd about presence on the stairs, but I ignore them and focus on my brother-in-law. The six of us stand on the stairs, while Elijah continues his speech.

"Welcome! Thank you for joining us!" he begins, as Esther makes her way down to us from upstairs. "You know, whenever my mother brings our family together like this, it's tradition for us to commence the evening with a dance. Tonight's pick is a centuries-old waltz, so if all of you could please find yourselves a partner. Please join us in the ballroom."

Kol turns to me with a soft smile on his face and extends his right hand. I raise my eyebrows and watch, as he tries to be a gentleman. 

"Would you do me the honor of dancing with you tonight?" he inquires, before I place my hand in his. Grinning at my husband, I nod my head in response, and Kol leads me down the staircase and to the ballroom. 

The two of us get into position, and I notice Caroline and Nik standing in front of us. Even though I am currently pissed at my brother-in-law, I really hope those two end up together. They would make a very cute couple. I just hope that Caroline can look past his idiotic tendencies.

As the music picks up, everyone begins dancing. Kol and I keep our eyes locked with each other, and I can barely focus on our surroundings. All of my attention is on him. Well it is, until I'm spun away from my husband and over to Finn.

My brother-in-law gives me a quick smile, causing me to return the gesture. Back before they became vampires, Finn and I were always cordial to each other. We were never exceptionally close, but we got along. We had to for our family's sake.

While we're dancing, I sense that something is wrong with my brother-in-law. After last night, he seems more uptight. Usually, he's more laidback at events like this. He at least tries to have fun. Finn's up to something, and I will figure it out. 

Before I get a chance to investigate, I'm spun back into the arms of my husband, and we finish up the dance. After the song is over, a concerned expression crosses over Kol's face, and he pulls me aside. 

"Darling, what is wrong?" he interrogates, while I brush it off. I definitely do not need him attacking his older brother for information right now. As much as I love him, Kol tends to be a little aggressive in his questioning. 

"Nothing's wrong. Elena's presence is just annoying me." I grumble out, earning a chuckle in response. Seeing Caroline quickly leaving the room, I turn my attention back to my husband and grin up at him.

"There's someone you need to meet."  I state, before dragging Kol off to find my friend. Hopefully, those two don't immediately hate each other. I can hope, right?

 I can hope, right?