Chapter 28

Kailie's POV

Kol and I return to conversing with the guests, until we decide to grab some champagne. I constantly need alcohol in my system to keep my bloodlust down, and Matt and Elena prevented me from getting any earlier. Those bitches.

After we are given our drinks by the bartender, I spot my sister-in-law standing in a corner with a homicidal look plastered on her face. Her arms are crossed and she's glaring at Matt and Caroline. Dragging Kol with me, I make my way over to Rebekah and greet her. Definitely don't need my sister-in-law murdering my best friend.

"Where's your date?" I question Rebekah while noticing her tense up at my question. She must really like Matt for her to have this reaction. I don't know if she is aware that Caroline doesn't have feelings for Matt anymore. This is going to be interesting. 

"Flirting with his ex." she responds back, avoiding eye contact with me. My grin grows, and I take a sip of champagne. My sister-in-law has it bad. 

"You've changed, Bekah. You know, settling for mortals is the first sign of weakness." Kol mutters, swirling his champagne glass in his hand. Rebekah visibly stiffens, and I raise my eyebrows. 

"I'm not settling. I brought him here to kill him. " my sister-in-law states, causing Kol and I to smirk back at her. "He's Elena's friend. If he dies, she suffers. But I've already been scolded once, so I was hoping that you two would help me out."

"And spit right in the face of Mother's rules?" Kol asks with a confused look on his face. He takes a moment to think about it, before a smirk passes over his face again. "I'm in."

The two of them glance over at me, while I finish up my champagne. I've never really been the biggest fan of Matt, so I don't really care if he dies or not. As long as Caroline stays safe, I'm fine.  

"I'm in." I add, spotting a familiar witch entering the ball. What is she doing here? I excuse myself from the two and walk over to welcome her. She quickly notices me approaching her and smiles. 

"Kailie, so great to see you again." the witch greets, while I raise my eyebrows at her. Something is off about her, but I don't know what. 

"Valerie. What are you doing here?" I question, sensing that something was about to happen. The last time that I saw this witch, she was very kind and sweet to me. But now, she's acting a little suspicious. 

"Well I was just checking up with Klaus about our deal." she states, while I give her a confused look. She laughs slightly before responding. "All magic comes with a price, dearie. Klaus has yet to pay his yet." 

"And what price would that be?" I ask her, nervous about what her answer might be. She darkly chuckles, and I feel a sense of dread flood my body. She stalks closer to me and smiles sadly.

"For the past ten years, I have been separated from my family. Exiled from my home by local vampires. All I want is to be with my sister and niece. In exchange for returning your memories, Klaus promised to reunite the three of us." Valerie explains with a hint of regret, and I almost feel sorry for her. Almost.

"So what would happen...if Niklaus doesn't help you?" I inquire from her, worried about the answer. What is willing to do to get her 'payment'? 

"If Klaus backs out of deal, I will kill the person whom he loves the most."

~~~

After my enthralling conversation with the Claire witch, I've been wandering around the room, trying to keep my mind off of their deal. Eventually, the tapping of crystal rings throughout into the room, grabbing everyone's attention. 

"Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. Waiters are coming around with champagne. I invite you all to join me in raising a glass." Esther announces, as Kol walks up to me with two glasses in his hands. He gifts one to me, and I smile at him. "It provides me with no greater joy than to see my family back together as one. I'd like to thank you all for being part of this spectacular evening. Cheers!" 

Kol and I lift our glasses to our mouths, ready to drink away our frustration.  However, before I take a sip, I detect the faint smell of blood. Elena's blood to be exact. What did Esther do?

Pretending to take a sip, I watch my mother-in-law smile down at all of us menacingly. Her eyes connect with mine for a split second, and I raise my eyebrows at her. Whatever she's planning I am glad to not have been mixed up with it. I just wish that I could have stopped Kol from drinking the blood-laced champagne. 

"So I see that Matt is still alive. What happened to the plan?" I question my husband, who then proceeds to lock our arms together. His gaze darkens, as we continue walking away.

"Rebekah decided to save Matt at the last second." Kol grumbles out, clearly upset at his younger sister's actions. 

An idea pops into my head, causing a grin to spread across my face. I drag Kol with me upstairs and explain my new plan to him. He heads up to the upstairs balcony, while I coerce Matt into meeting with me in said area. It doesn't take me long to locate the quarterback, and I quickly walk up to him.

"Hey, Matt. Can I have a quick word with you?" I question Matt, who nods in response. I fake a smile to be polite and nod back. "Great! Meet me on the upstairs balcony in a few minutes."

I walk away from the teenager and see him quickly walking up the staircase. Perfect! On my way to see the aftermath of the plan, I hear a commotion outside. Running out there to figure out what it is, I catch a glimpse of Damon breaking Kol's neck. 

I feel anger flood my system and my fangs protrude. Wanting some revenge, I quickly speed over to the older Salvatore and grab him by the neck. I lift him up into the air and smirk, while he begins to struggle for air. After a short while of watching Damon suffer, I lift my other hand and snap his neck, dropping his body to the ground. No one messes with my family and gets away with it. 

I ignore the shocked stares from the Mikaelsons and lean down to pick up Kol's body. Elijah runs over and helps me, before the two of us carry my husband up to our room. Thankfully all of the guests have left by this point, so we don't get asked questions about an unconscious Kol. It doesn't take long, until we have placed him down onto the bed. 

"Thank you, Elijah." I tell my brother-in-law, who proceeds to nod and leave the room. Leaning down to my husband, I brush my hand through his hair and smile at him. 

Right after I move away to change into pajamas, I hear a groan and see Kol slowly sit up on the bed. His eyes dart around the room frantically, causing me to slightly frown. 

"What happened?" my husband groans out, rubbing the side of his neck in pain. I sit down next to him and take his hands in mine. After a while, Kol focuses his attention, and a smile grows on my face.

"Damon snapped your neck." I explain nonchalantly, noticing a murderous look pass over his face. He moves to stand up, but I push him back onto the bed. "I already took care of him. If there wasn't anyone else there, I would have done more than just snap his neck."

A grin replacing the deadly stare, and Kol wraps his arm around me. I lean back into his embrace, and we stay in that position for a little while longer. Tonight, I am going to relax with my husband, but tomorrow is when the real fun begins.