Chapter 33

Kailie's POV

By the time we return to Mystic Falls, the sun has set, and everyone has retreated into their homes. Thank god. I really don't want to run into anyone I know right now. 

During our drive back, Kol and I told my brother the full truth about us, and I honestly expected him to hate me again. However, Jeremy understood why we kept it from him. He's still on my side about the Elena situation thankfully. 

Pulling up in front of Caroline's house, I park the car and turn back to Jeremy. I really didn't want to bring him back to Mystic Falls, but there's no other option. We can't send him back to Denver anymore, and the three of us agreed to not send him back to Elena. The next best option is my best friend. 

"We'll be back in a few days, but if you need anything, call me. Be safe." I assure him, before my brother exits the car and knocks on her front door. Caroline opens the entrance and leads Jeremy inside of her home. After my brother enters the house, my friend waves at me, before following him. 

I worryingly stare at the Forbes' front door for a few more seconds, before I feel pressure on my hand. Turning to face my husband, I see a reassuring smile on his face. I give his hand a tight squeeze, before releasing it. Shifting the car into drive, I press down on the gas pedal and speed off.

~~~

Kol and I have been in Vegas for the past few days, and it has definitely been interesting. On the drive over here, my husband mentioned us renewing our vows. After I got over the shock, I agreed. So we dropped our initial plan of returning to my home in West Virginia and made our way out to Sin City.

A notification from my phone stirs me awake. I groan out in annoyance and untangle myself from Kol's arms. Leaning over, I grab my phone off the bedside table and unlock the device. Spotting five missed calls from Elijah and Rebekah, I call my brother-in-law back to figure out what happened.

He quickly answers the phone and explains the situation to me. My stupid hybrid brother-in-law has been desiccated by Bonnie and is being held hostage by most of the Scooby Gang. Elijah is currently on his way to negotiate for his brother. Niklaus has clearly gotten into some deep shit. And now, it's up to us to dig him out of it.

Placing my phone back on the bedside table, I turn to my husband with a worried look on my face. Whether or not the two are close, Kol loves his brother dearly. Leaning over towards him, I shake my husband's shoulder.

"Kol, you need to wake up. Something has happened." I worryingly state, concerned for his reaction. Without any warning, Kol jumps up in bed and frowns after seeing the look on my face. "Nik has been desiccated, and the Scooby Gang is holding him hostage. Elijah is on his way there right now, but we need to go." 

My husband climbs out of bed and quickly packs up his belongings. I join him in packing, before we leave the hotel and rush down to my car. Starting up the vehicle, I shift it into drive and speed off for Mystic Falls. Well...our vacation was fun while it lasted.

~~~

By the time we get back to the godforsaken town, the sun has set. I'm speeding through the streets in an attempt to reach Elijah. On the way back from Vegas, he called me and told us to meet him by Wickery Bridge. 

When I pull up next to the death trap, I spot Elijah and Rebekah standing there, comforting each other with an embrace. Jumping out of the car, I notice tears streaming down my sister-in-law's face. A frown is plastered on Elijah's face, causing a similar expression to appear on mine. What else happened? 

As the two of us walk closer, Kol's siblings turn to look at us. Rebekah runs over and throws herself into my arms. Hugging her back, I let her cry out the rest of her tears onto my shoulder. 

"Nik is dead. Alaric killed him. I couldn't stop it. He's gone." she explains, bawling her eyes out. My eyes widen in shock, while tears begin to fill the corners of them. 

He can't...he can't be dead. I may be upset with him, but I never wanted him to die. He's the reason I have my memories back. He's the reason I'm reunited with my true family. 

Pulling away from the hug, I give my sister-in-law a comforting smile, before brushing away my tears. Elijah calls Elena to confirm its true, causing more tears to flood his eyes as well.

The Scooby Gang, minus Caroline and Jeremy, is going to pay for this. They're the ones who desiccated my brother-in-law in the first place. If they hadn't done that, Niklaus might still be alive. 

All of a sudden, a plan pops into my head, and a devilish smirk appears on my face. I tell my family I'm going on a walk to clear my head, and walk off to enact my plan. Dialing Stefan's number on my phone, I hold it up to my ear and wait for him to answer.

"Hello?"

"You're alive. Congratulations." I state sarcastically, walking over to the bridge. I need to hurry before I miss my deadline. 

"Kailie." he greets cautiously, most likely wondering why I've called him. In his defense, I really hate his guts. I'd rather see him hanging from a post with vervain covered stakes protruding from all areas of his skin. 

"Elijah spoke to Elena. Her and Matt should be arriving back in town at any minute." I tell him, before finally arriving next to Wickery Bridge. All I have to do now is just wait for them. I can almost hear Stefan raise his eyebrows before responding. 

"Yeah he told me that. He also told me that you and the Mikaelsons would be long gone out of town by now." 

"That's the problem. Elijah says that we have to run. That the hunter will keep coming after us, but I don't want my family to run anymore, Stefan. They've spent their whole lives running, and I don't think they should have to. Not after the torment they've suffered." I explain, as I begin to hear a vehicle pull onto the road a few miles in front of me. 

"What about the deal?" the younger Salvatore questions, nervous about my tone. I'm going off script, and at this point, I don't care what happens to anyone but Caroline and Jeremy. As long as they stay safe, I'll be fine. 

"Niklaus is dead. There is no deal. If my family and I are going to survive, we need to get rid of Alaric. And from what I've heard, there's only one way to do it." I grit out, hearing Matt's truck coming down the road. 

"Kailie, no." he pleads, before I hang up the phone and place it into my pocket. I step out onto the middle of the bridge and wait for the quarterback's truck to hit me. Smirking at the vehicle, I watch as it swerves off the bridge, crashing into the water below. My job is now done. Payback is a bitch.