Chapter 27

Kailie's POV

Caroline is definitely something else. While she hates almost all of the Mikaelson family, her and Kol hit it off right away. They're on the right track to becoming good friends. It's definitely going better than I expected it to.

Leaving the two alone, I walk off to get some champagne. Right before I reach the bar, I feel someone grab onto my arm and pull me aside. Looking up at the culprit, I see a nervous Matt standing there, tightening his grip. Couldn't he have waited until after I got some alcohol? 

I tug my arm away and glare up at the bastard, waiting for an explanation from the teenager. After a couple seconds without a response, I roll my eyes annoyed. 

"What is it, Matt? I've not got all night." I grumble to him, sporting a glare on my face. Eventually, Matt seems to snap out of whatever trance he is in. 

"Sorry! Sorry!" he exclaims, before recomposing himself. "I just wanted to talk to you. I talked to Caroline earlier, and she screamed at me for how I've acted towards you in the past. I've always felt bad about it, but it took Caroline chewing me out for me to apologize. I am really sorry, Kailie."

Wow. That was sudden. After taking a few seconds to reveal in his confession, I clear my throat and continue glaring. As much as I'm glad he apologized, it's too late for it to do any good. He should've done it before I fled Mystic Falls the first time. He was just being Elena's lapdog and didn't want to do anything about it. Before I can say anything to the teenager, my bitchy twin sister decides to come pay us a visit. 

"What are you doing with him? It's already bad enough that the blonde bitch you call a friend asked him to the ball!" Elena exclaims, causing me to narrow my eyes at the girl. She really doesn't want to mess with me right now. I might rip her head off in front of everyone. 

From the corner of my eye, I see Matt back away from the two of us, knowing that a fight is going to happen. I've been wanting to put Elena in her place for a while now, and now is the perfect time for it. I chuckle slightly, earning a harsh glare from the true bitch. 

"Oops! I'm sorry. I forgot that the world revolves around you and your 'perfect' life. How silly of me!" I state, slowly walking towards her. "Matt is allowed to talk to me, you know. You can't control his every action. And you're calling Rebekah a bitch? Is that right? And what exactly have you been doing the past few years? Being the sweetest girl in town? I call bullshit."                                                                                             
Elena harshens her scowl towards me, while I notice a crowd forming around us. I take a short glance over to my left to see Kol, Rebekah, and Caroline watching mine and my sister's confrontation. On the other side, I see the Salvatore brothers keeping a close eye on me in case I attack their 'precious Elena'. Turning back to the bitch, I continue my little rant. 

"For the past eighteen years of our lives, you have constantly manipulated everyone around us. I'm sick of it! I'm not going to play your little game anymore, Elena. It's time for me to fight back. So go ahead and try to bring me down. I dare you. It's only going to make you look like an insecure little bitch." 

Without any warning, Elena steps forward and smacks me. I hear a few gasps from the crowd, and I feel my anger rising. If I don't get out of this room soon, I will tear the bitch apart limb from limb. I don't care if there is a crowd. She deserves everything coming to her. 

Before I can touch Elena, I feel someone's arm go around my waist and pull me back. After a few seconds, I realize that Kol is trying to get me away from the bitch before I kill her, so I relax under his touch. My husband takes me outside of the mansion and to the small garden. 

He guides me to the nearest bench and has me sit down on it. Kneeling down in front of me, Kol places a hand on my cheek to get me to focus on him. 

"Astrid, look at me, love." he mutters softly, causing me to look down at him. Once I finally do, I notice that he has a concerned expression on his face. My glare softens at him, causing a grin to appear on Kol's face. My lips twitch up into a smile, as Kol plants a kiss onto both of my hands. He sits down next to me on the seat, and I lean into his touch. 

"You don't have to worry about that incessant witch any longer. After tomorrow, we'll leave this town for good." Kol states, while I nod into his chest. I really hope he's right. I've already spent more time here than I care to. 

I sit back up and fold my hands, while Kol stands up in front of me. Extending his hand out, my husband gestures for me to stand up with him. As much I as really don't want to go back in there, we have to. We are the hosts of this stupid event after all. Lightly groaning, I leave my seat and let Kol lead me back into the mansion. 

"In case I haven't mentioned it enough, you look stunning tonight." he mutters, before leaning down to plant a gentle kiss on my lips. Sadly, it's over too fast, and we're on our way back into the chaos we call a ball.