Chapter 14

Kailie's POV

~A few weeks later~

Nik and I are leaving the last werewolf pack in Oregon, when his phone begins ringing. He pulls it out from his pocket and immediately answers it. 

"Portland is fantastic once you get over all the whiny music and healthy looking people. It's literally a breeding ground for werewolves." Nik explains, as I look around the forest.

"Your father's dead." Stefan tells him, making the two of us stop in our tracks. Well that's shocking. I'm pretty sure he died a long time ago. Especially if Nik is over a thousand years old.

"What did you just say to me?" the Original Hybrid grits out, raising his voice slightly. I see a look of fear cross over Nik's face, causing me to roll my eyes. Over the past few weeks, I've grown to somewhat trust and befriend him. Well as much as I can with my humanity off. But just because we're friends, it doesn't mean that he's not overdramatic sometimes.  

"Oh, my mistake. Not your actual father, and not dead. Mikael. Daggered. What do you want me to do with the body?" Stefan inquires, making me nod and smirk to myself. So he's talking about that Mikael. Interesting.

"Well, first, I want you to explain to me exactly what happened." Nik demands, as we listen to Stefan's explanation. Apparently, Mikael went after Elena, so Damon and Stefan vervained him. In the process, they discovered that Mikael had a white oak dagger in his possession, so Elena daggered him.  

"I want to see him." Nik states pacing back and forth, as tears flood his eyes. Oh brother. "I want to see his rotting body for myself."

"Well, he's here. Come by whenever." Stefan nonchalantly tells him, making me groan. If Nik drags me back to Mystic Falls because of this, I will kill that Salvatore. 

"If you're lying to me, Stefan, your compulsion will expose you, so answer with your life. Is what you're saying the truth?" Nik questions Stefan, tears threatening to fall from his eyes. 

"It's true. I saw it with my own eyes." Stefan confirms, as my expression hardens. Something does not seem right about this. Before Nik can say anything else to the vampire, I grab the phone out of his hand.

"Stefan, if you are lying to me or Nik, I will personally rip out your spleen and shove it down your throat. I know how far you and Damon will go to protect Elena, so I'm just gonna give you a little piece of advice. Don't piss off the diabolical ones. We will make you suffer." I calmly state, before handing the phone back to Nik. The older vampire sends me a thankful look, before placing the device back up to his ear. 

"I want to talk to Rebekah." Nik demands, and only silence comes through the phone. They were probably not expecting that. Eventually, Stefan pops back into the conversation.

"That's not a problem. She's right here." he explains, before passing the phone over to Rebekah. After a few seconds of silence, the blonde vampire speaks up. 

"Hello, Nik."

"Rebekah, love. What's this I hear about Mikael's tragic run-in with a dagger?" Nik questions his sister, only to receive silence in return. Eventually, Rebekah confirms what we have heard from Stefan.

"It's true. He's finally out of our lives for good." she explains, while I see Nik close his eyes and relax. "I miss you and Kailie. I'm miserable here."  I give the phone a look of disbelief. I know that Rebekah likes me, but she wouldn't miss me. No one does anymore. 

"We'll be home soon." Nik informs her, smiling to himself. I groan in frustration, since I don't want to return to that damn town. 

"Good. I'll see you then, brother." Rebekah breathes out, clearly happy at his comment. What is going on with her? What have the Salvatores done to her?

Nik ends the call and turns to look at me. Crossing my arms, I raise my eyebrows at the Original Hybrid. 

"Please tell me that you don't buy their story. Something seems a little fishy to me." I state, raising my eyebrows, while Nik wraps his arm around my shoulder and leads me to the truck. 

"While it is possible that they daggered Mikael, I agree with you that this is not a black and white situation. We're missing something, which means we still need to go into their trap." Nik explains, as I groan in frustration. The Original chuckles at my response, while we make our way to the truck.

Eventually, we climb inside and drive off to Mystic Falls. On our way there, my mind travels to the dreams I've been having about Nik and the rest of his group. As we pass the Virginia state line, I nonchalantly ask him about it. 

"Nik, I have a question for you." I start off, earning a confused look from the man. "Who is Astrid?"

All of a sudden, the Original Hybrid slams on the brakes, causing the car to immediately stop. Well there's no need to be that dramatic. From the look on his face, I know that I hit a nerve.

"How do you know that name?" Nik grits out, while I raise my eyebrows at him. Who pissed in his Cheerios?

"It's a long story." I explain, shrugging my shoulders. Based on the look Nik's giving me, I continue. "I've been having these...dreams, but it's like I'm actually there. You and Rebekah are there, but you look happy and peaceful. There's this...this one man there I keep seeing repeatedly, and in this last one, he could sense I was there. And then he looked directly at me and called me Astrid." 

Instead of immediately responding, Nik turns away and continues driving. My attention stays on him, causing him to tense up. It takes a couple minutes, but the Original Hybrid eventually speaks back up.

"Astrid is...she was family. I knew her back when my siblings and I were human. She was like a sister to me. When we became vampires, she was accidentally killed by the member of my family who loved her the most. After her death, all of us were in pain. My sibling was in so much pain that he began lashing out and almost uncovered our secret. This was before we discovered the daggers, so I had to subdue him for a while."

Throughout his story, tears fall from his eyes, and Nik looks so weak. He must have really cared about her. I pat his shoulder awkwardly, causing the Original Hybrid to smile over at me. Getting back on track, I continue with my pestering. 

"Nik, what was this sibling's name?" I question him, tilting my head slightly. Rubbing away the tears, he turns to look at me with a sad smile and answers.

"Kol. His name is Kol."