Chapter 35

Kailie's POV

Feeling exhausted from the vervain fumes, I try taking a nap. At least I can more sleep out of this. That's a positive. Before I can fully pass out though, Stefan begins screaming at the guards. Can't I get a little peace and quiet?

"Hey! Anyone! Hey!" he screams out, gripping the bars and yanking on them. Rolling my eyes at the sight, I groan out.

"Will you shut up? I'm trying to get some sleep over here." I scold the younger Salvatore, who ignores me and continues being a pest. 

"You think we're afraid of you?" Stefan taunts, until a police officer enters the barn and stands in front of the younger Salvatore's cage. 

"You want more vervain? Keep it down." the guard grits out, causing me to chuckle slightly. I begin fading in and out of consciousness, so I don't pay attention to their conversation. When I open my eyes again, I see Stefan on the ground from a wooden bullet wound to the chest. I smile to myself, before finally being able to take a nap. 

I wake up to the smell of human blood and open my eyes to see a dead guard in front of Elena's cell. Well okay then. Glancing over to see my pale, bitchy twin sister, I notice that she's too weak to grab the body. Sadly, she would be the strongest out of the four of us with blood, since a newly turned vampire has extra strength the first few hours. 

Only in order to get the hell out of this hellhole, I use the last of my power to push the body in front of Elena. I really hope I don't regret this. She dips her fingers into the blood and brings them up to her mouth. All of a sudden, she gets color in her skin and rips her cage door open. 

She frees the three of us, but I'm too weak to stand. I guess this is what happens when I don't feed the night before and then get kidnapped by a bunch of vampire hunter police officers. I'm trying to keep my blood lust under control, and this is what I get for it? 

Rebekah climbs into my cell with and sits down next to me. At least I have some good company now. I close my eyes to rest, since I didn't get to take a nap earlier. After a few more minutes, I hear someone else run into the torture barn.

"Darling, I'm getting you out of here." my husband tells me, before picking me up bridal style and speeding us away from the farm.

Eventually, Kol stops running and carries me into the mansion. I hear the familiar sounds of the Mikaelson siblings, before being sped upstairs. After gently placing me onto our bed, Kol leaves the room for a second to get a blood bag. 

I manage to keep my eyes open until he gets back, and my attention focuses onto the blood. I'm too weak to sit up, but I grab the bag from Kol and suck it dry. I feel my strength return and move to sit up, but my husband pushes me back down. What the hell, Kol? I'm fine now. 

Before he can say anything, my phone begins ringing, and my husband pulls it out of his pocket. I guess I must have dropped it when I got abducted earlier. He hands the device to me, and I quickly answer it.

"Hello?"

"Kailie? Thank god you're okay! Caroline told me that you were taken to that barn with the other vampires." I hear Jeremy exclaim on the other end of the line. I chuckle, but it comes out very weak.

"I'll be fine." I reassure my brother, before coughing slightly. Kol frowns down at me but doesn't say anything. He knows that I'll be back to normal after a couple more blood bags. I still have a little bit of vervain in my lungs. 

My brother and I continue our conversation, until he has to hang up. Well that and Kol wants me to rest. While my husband goes to get me a few more blood bags, I answer a few texts from Caroline. All of a sudden, I hear a commotion downstairs, but Kol comes back into the room before I can investigate. 

He hands me two more blood bags and lies down next to me on the bed. Wrapping his arm around my shoulders, my husband pulls me closer to him, as I suck the bags dry. I really need to get back on vervain. I don't want an incident like this happening again. 

~~~

The next morning, I'm woken up by a knock at our bedroom door. Can't anyone just let us have some peace and quiet. I just want to sleep. Is that too much to ask?

Untangling myself from Kol's arms, I climb out of bed and open the door to see Niklaus standing there. Before he can get a word in, I do the logical thing and shut the door in his face. I make my way back to bed, but my idiotic brother-in-law decides to knock again. Angry at his stubbornness, I slam the door open and glare at Niklaus.

"What do you want?" I demand, crossing my arms in annoyance. He smirks at the sight, before quickly responding.

"I just wanted to come check in to see how you're doing, Tri. But if you and my brother need a little bit more...bonding time together, I'll happily leave you be."

His comment causes my glare to harden, and he chuckles at my reaction. I clear my throat and lean against the door frame.

"I'm fine. I'm a little shaken up, but I'm okay." I explain. "Now is there anything else you need before I go back to sleep?"

Niklaus shakes his head, turning back towards the hallway. Thank god! Now it's time for sleep. Before he takes one step, my brother-in-law turns back around and smirks down at me. 

"You know, there is one thing I need help with." 

~~~

While Kol is still sleeping, I text Caroline and talk to her for a little bit. Apparently, something happened this morning at the ranch I was held hostage at. From what she's told me already, there was an explosion inside of the house, which killed all of the Council members inside. 

As sad as their deaths are, I think that karma came back to bit them in the ass. They kidnapped every vampire they could find and held us hostage in a vervain filled barn. I feel bad for their families, but I think that their deaths were bound to happen. Death is inevitable, even for vampires. 

Eventually, Caroline has to get ready for the memorial, so we stop end our conversation. I glance over at Kol to see him sleeping away. I watch him for a few more minutes, before I hear a voice.

"It's impolite to stare, love, but I hope you like what you see."

All of a sudden, I'm flipped onto my back, and Kol is smiling down at me. I lock my hands behind his neck and pull him down to connect our lips. I smile into the kiss, as my husband runs his hands along my bruises. I let out a soft gasp, causing him to break away and send me a concerned look. before we break away. My husband gives me a worried look, but I brush my hand against his cheek softly. 

"I'm fine, Kol. I really am." I reassure him, brushing my hand against his cheek softly. Kol takes my free hand and presses it to his lips. 

Lying down next to me, he wraps his arm around my waist and pulls me closer to him. I lean back into his chest and feel him place his chin on my shoulder.

"I can't lose you, Astrid. Not again. I could barely survive one thousand years without you."