Chapter 4

Kailie's POV

When I get back to the mansion, no one else is there. I'm not at all surprised. Mrs. Lockwood is most likely socializing with Sheriff Forbes. Meanwhile, Tyler and co. are still doing their top-secret activity.

I speed up to the my room and lock the door behind me. I need to relax and recharge from this chaotic day, before I go crazy. Laying down on the bed, I stare up at the ceiling to clear my mind. It works...for a while, until Tyler returns home. He must be too tired to do anything else, because he doesn't come to check on me. Can't say I blame him. 

After a short while, I manage to shut down my brain enough for sleep. Oh thank god! I've been awake for far too long today.

~~~

The next morning, I wake up to the sound of birds chirping and a cool breeze flowing over me like some sort of heavenly gesture. Nah, I'm just kidding. What I really wake up to is the feeling of being drenched by a bucket of water. Thanks, Tyler! Just what I needed to start my day.

I quickly sit up to see my friend clutching his stomach in a fit of laughter on the floor. I smile maliciously and attempt to jump on top of him to give him a hug. Tyler realizes this and begins trying to get away from me. 

"Ahh come on, Tyler. I just want a hug!" I exclaim chasing after him. The two of us run around my room for a while, before the door flies open to reveal Mrs. Lockwood and Sheriff Forbes. Ah shit...Well it's sucks to be Tyler right now...

"What is going on here, Tyler?" Mrs. Lockwood screams at Tyler, who sheepishly rubs the back of his neck. I clear my throat to help him, causing both Mrs. Lockwood and Sheriff Forbes to turn their attention to me. Initially, they're both too shocked to say anything, 

"Kailie?" they ask at the same time. After I nod in response, both women smile and let out sighs of relief.  They try coming over to me for a hug, but I hold my hands out to stop them. 

"As much as I would love a hug, Tyler just woke me up by pouring a bucket of ice water on top of me. So, I don't think you want to hug me right now." I explain to both of them, throwing Tyler a look at the end. 

My friend sends me a hurt look, as his mother angrily marches over to him. She drags him out of the room by his arm, and Sheriff Forbes follows them out to give me some privacy. I need to change out of this wet clothing. 

Unzipping my suitcase, I pull out a change of clothing and my pair of black booties. Carrying everything into the bathroom, I dry off from the water attack and get dressed. Throwing on my leather jacket, I return to my bedroom and grab a vervain-laced blood bag. If I learned anything from being a vampire, it's good to ingest vervain every day. It helps cut down on my reaction to it if I'm attacked. 

Quickly disposing of the bag, I make my way downstairs to see Caroline, Tyler, and Bonnie sitting on the couch. I guess Mrs. Lockwood and Sheriff Forbes must have left for work already. My friends don't seem to notice me at first, until I clear my throat. 

"Hey, guys. What are you doing here so early?" I question them, leaning on the wall next to me. Caroline turns around to face me with an excited look on her face, while Bonnie and Tyler look sympathetic. Oh no...what's about to happen?

"A.) It's 3:00 PM, and B.) we're taking you to a party tonight for your birthday." she explains, causing me to groan in response. I hate parties. I'm naturally an introverted person, so parties are my worst enemy. And of course, Caroline doesn't care whatsoever. I love her, but it doesn't surprise me. 

"No whining! We're getting you ready for a party, and we're doing it right now. So please just make it easier on everyone and don't fight." Caroline begs, while Tyler and Bonnie both stay on the couch. I can tell neither of them want to get involved in this. Knowing that there's no point in arguing with my blonde friend, I sigh and nod.

"Fine, but I am doing nothing else for the rest of this trip." I inform the three, making eye contact with each of them. They all nod, causing me to smirk in satisfaction. Unfortunately, this means that I'm now playing dress-up for Caroline.

My blonde friend shoots up from the couch and grabs me by my arm, dragging me back upstairs to my room. Here we go!

~~~

By the time Caroline has finished torturing me, the only things fixed are my hair and makeup. She tried getting me to change into a dress, but I strongly fought back against that. I'm grinning at myself in the vanity mirror, while my blonde friend smiles and rolls her eyes behind me.

"You did good, Caroline!" I tell her, finally snapping out of the trance I was in. I may hate makeup, but she did a really good job.

"You going to believe me from now on? Dang it, Kailie. You are not even worth the calories I burn talking to you!" Caroline rants, as I laugh at her reaction. She pats my shoulders and continues on.

"Happy birthday, Kai!"

I smile up at my friend through the mirror and place my right hand over hers. It's times like these that I'm happy she's my friend. I don't know how I would've survived elementary and middle school without her, Bonnie, and Tyler. 

"Thanks, Care." I respond, before clearing my throat. "We better get downstairs, before Tyler sends a search party after us."

She chuckles for a bit, as I stand up to face her. We lock our arms together and exit my room to head downstairs. Once we're down there, I spot Tyler and Bonnie waiting at the door for us. The four of us exit the mansion and head over towards Bonnie's car. I climb into the backseat with Tyler and buckle myself to my seat. Bonnie starts the engine, and we're on our way.

 Bonnie starts the engine, and we're on our way