Chapter 15

Kailie's POV

After a day of driving, Nik and I finally make it back to Mystic Falls. On the way, Klaus called Tyler and had him move the Homecoming Dance to the Lockwood mansion in honor of Mikael's death. The hybrid immediately agreed and said that it would be done by the time we got there. Before we arrived back in Mystic Falls, Nik and I had stopped to get proper Homecoming outfits for the party. Unfortunately for me, that meant me wearing a red and black lace cocktail dress and black heels.

Pulling into the driveway of Tyler's house, I can see drunk, horny teens flooding the property. Great...just what I want to see when I come back to Mystic Falls. Giving Nik an annoyed look, I hop out of the truck and make my way to the entrance.

Before the two of us can even make it in the door, I hear loud rock music echoing from the backyard. I walk off to go get us drinks, while Klaus makes his way over to the stage for an announcement.

"Good evening, everyone!" Nik exclaims, before the crowd screams and applauds. "I want to thank you all for being here with me to celebrate. It's been a long time coming."

Nik finishes up his speech and leaves the stage to come find me. Once he walks up next to me, I hand him his drink, and we scope out the party.

"Their trap is in motion. Mikael must be here by now. Are you ready to confront Stefan?" I question him, receiving a nod from him in return. Nik walks off to find him, while I walk around to find Rebekah. By now I thought that I would be able to find her, but I can't. She shouldn't be that difficult to find.

On my way back into the house, I accidentally bump into a older man with piercing blue eyes. While I'm apologizing to him, I see a look of shock plastered on his face.

"Astrid?" he whispers out, as I realize who this man is. This must be Mikael. Nik is right. He really is a dickhead. Before I have a chance to react, Mikael drags me by my arm and speeds me to the front of the mansion. You have got to be kidding me.

Once we make it to the field in front of the door, the vampire hunter knocks me against the side of the house. He must think that I'm not a vampire, since he didn't vervain me. It's not like it would do him any good anyways. I still take my vervain daily. 

Two more vampires walk up to us, and one of them forcefully pulls me off the ground. Rude. Mikael grabs the other one and carts her over to the front door. My captor drags me over to the pair and stakes me in the stomach for good measure. Why not? My day's already been shit. 

From my obvious concussion and flesh wound, I cannot do anything to stop Mikael. I'm not forced to lay on the ground and wait until my head clears up. This should be fun.

After a few minutes, Nik slams open the front door and begins yelling at his poor excuse of a father. And I thought mine was bad. He's nothing compared to this asshole.

Because of my concussion, I begin zoning in and out of their conversation, but I do notice when two vervain grenades go off behind us. What the fuck did I miss now? Eventually, Nik speeds over to me and pulls out the stake. I groan in discomfort and take his outstretched hand to stand up. 

As my vision becomes clear again, I spot Mikael's flaming body over on the lawn. Well...at least that's been taken care of. I glance over at Nik to see him glaring at what remains of his stepfather. 

Before I can ask him about it, the Original Hybrid speeds us back over to the truck, so we can leave this godforsaken hellhole. We both climb into the vehicle and drive off to who knows where. As long as it's not Mystic Falls, I'll be content. 

Sometime after we leave the town, I doze off to the sound of rain drizzling onto the windshield. Before I can fully fall asleep, I hear Nik talking to someone on the phone. He seems pretty upset at the person, but I'm too tired to care. However, one of his words does catch my attention. Astrid.