Chapter 7

Kailie's POV

Thankfully, this morning doesn't start with another bucket of water being dumped on me. Instead, Mrs. Lockwood lightly knocks on the door to wake me up. Much much nicer.

As I sit up in bed, she enters my room with a small coffee cup in her hands. That's just the thing I need to start this great day.

"Good morning, sweetie. I know that you are leaving early, so I thought that you might want some coffee to kick off your day." Mrs. Lockwood soothingly explains, handing over the mug.

I wrap both of my hands around it and lift it up to my lips. As I take a sip, I taste a familiar flavor. Vervain. Why did I know that this was too good to be true? Instead of horrifically gagging on the drink, I chug down the coffee and set the cup down on my bedside table.

"Thanks for the coffee, Mrs. Lockwood, but I've got to get ready. I'll meet you downstairs before I leave." I state, eagerly jumping up from the bed to grab a change of clothing.

While I begin my morning routine, I hear her let out a relieved sigh and exit the room. She bought it. That's good. After I hear Mrs. Lockwood retreat downstairs, I head into the bathroom to take a quick shower.

About an hour later, I exit my room with my now packed duffel bags and make my way downstairs. I've still got a little time to relax before heading off thankfully. I need to make up my mind about taking a vacation after this disaster of a trip. I'll probably go back to Chicago for a visit.

As I set my bags down by the front door, I hear footsteps from behind me. They sound too heavy to be Mrs. Lockwood, so that leaves one person. I turn around to see my best friend with a nervous look on his face. What's that about?

"Kailie, can I talk to you for a second?" Tyler questions, before lowering his voice. "In private."

Raising my eyebrows, I nod my head and follow him out to the backyard. Once we're back there, he pulls out something from a bush and holds it in front of me. My eyes widen at the sight of one of my empty blood bags.

"Why did I find this in your room?" he interrogates, while I stand there flabbergasted.

I'm trying to come up with a believable lie, but nothing's coming to mind. He won't believe me if I tell him the truth. When I don't respond for a few minutes, he sighs and takes a step closer to me.

"Just answer me this, Kailie. Are you a vampire?" Tyler questions, causing me to sigh in defeat. I should have seen this coming. He's at least acquaintances with the Salvatore brothers. Taking my silence as my answer, his harsh look turns into a sympathetic one, and he continues his questioning.

"How long?"

I sit down on a nearby bench and brush away falling tears. I don't want him to look at me as a weaker person.

"Two years this October. I-I was pulled into a back alley and drained of all my blood. The vampire took pity on me and turned me." I tell him, lying about everything but the date. He already knows about my vampirism. I don't need him knowing about my vampire hunting as well.

Tyler nods and sits down next to me, placing his arm around my shoulder. I lean into his embrace, as we sit in a comfortable silence. I pull away after a short while and clear my throat.

"I should probably get going. It's a long drive back to Chicago." I explain, earning a nod from Tyler.

We silently walk back into the mansion and up to the front door. He carries my bags out to my car and places it into the trunk. Before I can leave, Tyler suddenly pulls me into a hug, causing me to laugh. He leans up to my ear and whispers something.

"Your secret is safe with me."

I nod and pull away from the embrace, releasing a heavy sigh. Thank god! I climb into my car and start the ignition.

As I back out of the driveway, I wave goodbye to my friend, before driving down the street. The sooner I leave this town the better. Thankfully, it doesn't take me long to reach and pass the town sign. Goodbye Mystic Falls. Hello Chicago.