Chapter 22

Kailie's POV

After everyone settles into their seats, dinner is served. As one of Niklaus' servants pours more wine into my glass, I look over and see Stefan not eating.

"You've lost your appetite." the Original Hybrid taunts the younger Salvatore, causing me to stifle a laugh. Damon turns to his younger brother to keep him from lashing out.

"Eat. I thought we agreed that we would leave the grumpy Stefan at home." the older Salvatore states to his brother, who begins eating. A grin appears on Niklaus' face, before he pops up again.

"That's the spirit. Isn't this nice? The five of us dining together. Such a treat." he starts off, turning to look at Damon. "Is this what you had in mind when you pulled the dagger out of my brother?"

"Well I know what he felt about you, so I figured the more...the merrier." Damon explains, stuffing a piece of steak into his mouth. Rolling my eyes at the younger vampire, I take a sip from my wine glass. It's not as good as my Jack Daniels, but I need it to sit through dinner with the morons. 

"Well, Elijah and I have had our share of quarrels over the centuries, but we always make it through." Niklaus details, continuing to eat his meal. I take another bite of my steak and listen to the riveting conversation. 

"Kind of like, uh, you and Rebekah, right? Where is she, by the way? Last I checked, she was still daggered, because you were afraid to face her." Stefan taunts the Original Hybrid, causing me to roll my eyes. Doesn't he have any better threats? 

"If you're referring to the fact that Rebekah knows I killed our mother, I've already come clean to Elijah." Niklaus explains, while I think over his words. If I'm being honest, the only reason that I liked Esther was because she was my mother-in-law. She could be very judgmental at times. I'm just surprised that she reincarnated me in the first place. 

"Hey, Stef, remember when you killed Dad? Might want to dial down the judgment till dessert." Damon warns his brother, before taking a sip of wine. He's going to need it with how Stefan's been acting tonight.

"We're here to make a deal, Damon. Doesn't mean we need to kiss his ass for seven courses." the younger vampire mutters, glaring at Niklaus even more.

"I'm just saying. We have a long evening ahead of us. Pace yourself." the older Salvatore reminds him, while I take another sip of wine. This really is going to be a long evening.

"Stefan, where is the lovely Elena tonight?" Elijah questions the younger vampire, causing me to choke on my wine. Niklaus glances over at me look of amusement, as I catch my breath. 

"I don't know. Ask Damon." Stefan responds, causing my other brother-in-law and I to chuckle. Damon tenses up at his comment, so Niklaus explains.

"I'm sorry. You've missed so much." he starts off, earning a confused look from Elijah. "Ah, trouble in paradise."

"One more word about Elena, and, uh, this dinner is over." Stefan explains, glaring at Niklaus and I. After a while, I finally calm down enough to continue eating.

"You know what, probably best just to keep Elena in the 'Do Not Discuss' pile." Damon remediates the situation, while I move to cut another piece of steak off. 

"You're probably right." Nik concurs with the younger vampire, causing me to nod in agreement. "It's just the allure of the Petrova Doppelgangers is still so strong. What do you say, brother? Should we tell them about Tatia and Astrid?"

Hearing that last question, I stab my knife into my steak, earning the attention of everyone at the table. Elijah gives me a sympathetic look, while the Original Hybrid appears to be amused. Anything regarding my original bitchy twin is still a sore topic for me. So if Niklaus wants to stay alive, I would advise him to shut his mouth. The Salvatore brothers exchange confused looks with each other, before my other brother-in-law tries to mitigate the situation. 

"Now why should we discuss matters long since resolved?" Elijah questions his brother, as I glare at the latter. I really want to jab this knife into his eyes right now.

"Well, given their shared affection for both Elena and Katerina, I think our guests might be curious to learn about the originators of the Petrova line." Nik explains, making me sit up to stab him. Unfortunately, Elijah holds me back, before I can do any damage. 

"Well, we're not going anywhere, Elijah. Please, do tell." Damon states, taking another sip of his wine. The Original Vampire gives me an apologetic look, before turning back to the Salvatores. 

"When our family first settled here, there was a set of twins named Tatia and Astrid. Both of them were exquisite beauties. Every boy of age desired to be Tatia's suitor, even though she'd had a child by another man. And none loved her more than Niklaus." Elijah details, before being interrupted by his brother.

"Oh, I'd say there was one who loved her at least as much." the Original Hybrid mumbles, making me give him an amused look. Those two would always get into fights about Tatia, and I warned them about fighting over her. But they never listened to me, no matter how many times I told them. 

Tatia was always a bitch to me. When we were growing up, she would get into trouble and pin everything on me. This, in turn, made our parents shun me from their lives. Everyone else in the village loved me and treated me as their family, while my biological family hated me. Elena did the same thing to me when we were growing up. Originally, Miranda and Grayson loved me as much as Elena, but she twisted everything back around on me. She even turned our baby brother against me. 

"Wait a minute. So you both loved the same girl?" Stefan questions the two, only to receive no response. Chuckling to himself, he stares at the brothers in amusement.

"Our mother was a very powerful witch. She sought to end our feud over Tatia, and so she took her. Klaus and I would later learn that it was Tatia's blood that we consumed in the wine on the night where our mother performed the spell which turned us into vampires." Elijah describes, while I huff in response. Good riddance. "Tatia wouldn't make a decision between the two of us. So for a time, Niklaus and I...grew estranged. Harsh words were traded. We even came to blows. Didn't we, brother?"

"But in the end, we recognized the sacred bond of family." my other brother-in-law finishes, sitting up in his seat. It's such a sacred bond that you dagger your siblings up and lock them away for centuries. Great bond, Niklaus!

"Family above all." I mumble to myself, knowing the familiar phrase. The Salvatores give me confused looks again, while my brother-in-laws' repeat the saying and toast. The conversation grows quiet for a minute, before Damon pops back up.

"So who was Astrid?"

I visibly freeze, while Niklaus chuckles in amusement. I'm going to kill him. Why did he have to mention me in the first place?

"Astrid was family. While Tatia was sought by many men, Astrid was only sought by one. Our younger brother Kol. When the two were together, they were inseparable. It didn't take long, until they were married. Luck would have it that they married two days before our transformation into vampires." the Original Hybrid starts off, earning an angry stare from me. He may be family, but that doesn't mean I won't hurt him. 

"So what happened to her? I mean, she's obviously not running around here." Stefan interrogates him, who smirks in return. Before another word can fly out of Niklaus' stupid mouth, Elijah joins in and saves me.

"The night we became vampires, Astrid was off visiting a friend. She narrowly escaped becoming one of us, but she suffered from it nonetheless. About a week after we transformed, Kol had lost control of his blood lust and killed his wife." my brother-in-law explains, purposefully excluding the true ending to my story. Thank god for Elijah!

 Thank god for Elijah!