Chapter 36

Kailie's POV

~A few months later~

Kol and I are in the middle of dinner, when his phone begins to ring. My husband places down his blood bag and leaves the room to answer the call, while I continue sucking the blood from mine.

After a few minutes, Kol reenters the room with a slight frown plastered on his face. Raising one of my eyebrows, I drop my now empty blood bag onto the table and walk up to him. I smile up at him, but he continues to frown.

"Rebekah needs us back in Mystic Falls. Something has happened."

I sigh and wrap my arms around the back of Kol's neck. A grin appears on his face, and he leans his head down towards mine. Before we can kiss, my phone sounds throughout the room.

Without looking at the caller ID, I pull the device out of my pocket and answer the call.

"Hello?" I greet, receiving no response. After a few seconds, I hear sniffling coming from the other end. Before I get another chance to say something, a familiar voice speaks.

"Kai?" Tyler questions, sniffling once again. He must have been crying before he called me, but what happened? I wait a couple seconds before responding.

"Tyler, what's wrong?"

He says nothing for a few more seconds, while I hear him softly cry. My heart aches at the sound, but I can't do anything right now.

"My mom. Klaus killed my mom. I betrayed him, and he wanted revenge." Tyler explains, causing my body to stiffen and a glare to appear on my face.

I see Kol send me a worried look, but I brush it off. Mrs. Lockwood was like a mother to me, and Niklaus killed her. The next time I see the Original Hybrid, I'm going to kick his ass.

"I'll be there as soon as I can. Don't worry about Klaus. I'll take care of him when I get there." I tell my best friend, before hanging up the phone. Niklaus is going to pay for this.

~~~

It only takes me and Kol a few hours to drive to Mystic Falls, and after we arrive, I get another call from Tyler. He tells us to meet him at the high school, so I drive towards the hell building.

Once we get there, I park the car, and the two of us quietly enter the school. I hear Sheriff Forbes giving a speech in the gym, causing my husband and I to go stand outside of the doors.

"Carol Lockwood always said that togetherness, in times of tragedy, leads to healing. That one community is stronger than a thousand of its members." Sheriff Forbes starts off, while I attempt not to cry. Kol is holding me in his arms to calm me down. "But how does a community stay strong after losing its leader? And Carol was so much more than just a Mayor. She was...an open-minded friend...and a concerned mother, taken from us too soon by a terrible accident."

All of a sudden, one of the doors open, and Tyler exits the gym. He quickly spots me, as I run over to hug him. We stay in that position for a few more minutes, before he breaks away. Kol tells us that he'll be right back, as my best friend and I walk off towards the cafeteria. When we get there, the two of us sit down at a table and begin talking. I ask Tyler about what exactly happened, and he gives me the full story.

When he left Mystic Falls before the ball earlier this year, he began trying to break his sire bond to Niklaus. In the process of that, him and a werewolf named Hayley collected some of my brother-in-law's other hybrids and helped them break their sire bonds. Without Tyler knowing about it, Hayley had the twelve, unsired hybrids stage an attack against my brother-in-law, which he easily won. After Nik killed the twelve hybrids, he thought that Tyler was behind the attack, so the Original Hybrid located Mrs. Lockwood and drowned her.