Chapter 41

Kailie's POV

Why did I have to be born a twin? In both of my lifetimes, I've been stuck with a bitchy twin sister, who whines to get everything she wants. At least Tatia had the decency to never attempt murdering me. Now I've got to deal with Elena. If only I could kill her like Esther did with Tatia. That would be fun.

After mine and Kol's car conversation, we decide to settle this once and for all. We're killing Elena tonight. No more delaying for Nik. This bitch is getting what she deserves.

Before we head back towards the house, I grab a few stakes from the trunk, causing a bewildered expression to appear on Kol's face. I have already told him that I used to be a hunter. Why is he so confused? 

The two of us walk hand-in-hand back up to the Gilbert House, and I knock on the front door. It takes them a couple seconds, but Elena eventually opens the door. Matt is standing behind her with a crossbow aimed at us. 

"We've considered your request for truce." my husband starts off, while a smirk grows on my face. Kol glares at the pair, causing Elena to shift uncomfortably. "Request denied."

My bitchy twin sister slams the door in our faces, so my husband turns to me. We both nod and kick the door open with our feet. 

"I'm sorry. We've already been invited in!" Kol calls out to the ex-couple, before we walk into the house. Jeremy comes out from the kitchen with a few stakes. The two of us smile at my brother, before we glance around the house.

"Hide and seek? Fine by me." I announce, nodding towards my husband and brother. The three of us split up to go cover more ground. I walk up the staircase and get a wooden arrow stuck in my leg. Ow!

I glance up to see Elena holding a crossbow and aimed at my chest. Noticing my glare, she runs back upstairs, while I deal with the arrow in my fucking leg. Groaning in pain, I pull the weapon out and throw it down the stairs. 

I stalk after my bitchy twin sister and chase her into her bedroom. She attempts to barricade the door, but I knock the entryway open and pick her up by her throat. Elena pulls at my arm, but I don't release my grip on her. 

"I killed you once, Elena, and I can easily do it again." I mutter, tightening my grip of my bitchy twin's neck. All of a sudden, I'm knocked to the floor by a lamp. I look up at the perpetrator and notice that Matt was the one to save Elena. You have got to be kidding me!

The ex-couple run through the conjoined bathroom and into Jeremy's room. They shut the door behind them, while I stand up to chase them again. Glaring into my brother's door, I speed over to it and kick it open with my feet. 

After I break through the entrance, I get a wooden bolt sent towards me from Matt, and I move out of the way from it. It hits the wall behind my shoulder, so the human tries again. He shoots one towards my other soldier, but I leap out of the way again. Man, he really is a bad shot. When I try moving forward, Elena uses a handgun to shoot wooden bullets into my stomach. Ow!

Elena and Matt run out of Jeremy's room and into the hallway, while I dig out the bullets. Once they're out, I chase after them and find Kol blocking them from moving. Jeremy is slowly walking up the stairs and pointing a crossbow at Matt. My husband presses Elena up against the wall and stabs one of Jeremy's stakes into her stomach. 

Kol then turns to the quarterback and throws him down the stairs. I take the time to lean up against the railing and wait for my bullet wounds to heal. Elena is struggling to pull out the stake, so I think I have a few seconds to heal. Once I feel the wound close, I push myself back onto my feet and smirk at Elena.

Leaving my bitchy twin stuck to the wall, the three of us walk down the stairs to deal with Matt. Kol and I drag the quarterback by his arms down to the kitchen and place him on top of the island. He holds Matt down, while I grab a knife from a nearby cutting board. Jeremy's phone begins ringing, so he leaves us with the incapacitated quarterback to answer the call. This will only take a second. I'm not worried.

Twirling the knife between my hands, I stalk over to Matt and look down at him with a raised eyebrow. He seems somewhat dazed still, and I'm almost glad that he is. He can't fight back very hard from what's about to happen.

I begin stabbing the knife into empty spots on the island to spook him. His eyes widen with each stab, and I have to fight back the urge to smile. I need to stay focused. Instead of striking the weapon into the wood again, I raise the knife up to stab Matt into the heart. I've teased him enough. Now it's time to end it. Then I get to go deal with the bitch upstairs.

All of a sudden, I'm pushed into the living room, and the weapon flies out of my hands. Glancing up, I see Elena grabbing the spray head from the sink and dousing Kol in water. His skin begins to burn, and he cries out in pain. Damn vervain water!

The water manages to weak my husband enough to press him up against a nearby counter. Matt takes the time to climb off of the island, so I start cautiously making my way back. I haven't ingested vervain recently, so I could burn under its effects too.

While spraying Kol down, I see Elena throw Matt a stake, and my eyes widen. No. This is not happening.

Without thinking, I race over to the group and push Elena towards the living room. I move in front of Kol and block him from Matt's attack. My vision instantly darkens, and I can no longer hear anything.

 My vision instantly darkens, and I can no longer hear anything