Chapter 9

Kailie's POV

Thankfully, it doesn't take me long to return to the bar. I really need some alcohol, before I lose control and attack a random person. When I walk into the building, I see a large group of customers scattered throughout the room. It is packed in here. Spotting Gloria behind the bar, I make my way down there to help her.

"Need an extra bartender for the night?" I offer, earning a grateful nod in response. I know it's been a while since I've worked here, but I still remember a thing or two.

Hopping behind the counter, I grab some coasters and slide down to some customers. I quickly make their drinks and move onto the next people, until everyone has been served.

I pour me a glass of Jack Daniels to relax from my workout and walk over to Gloria. She has her grimoire open and is skimming through it. Nik's problem must be really important. I've never seen her pull out her spellbook during Happy Hour.

"So what does the big, bad vampire want?" I jokingly ask, causing her to chuckle lightly. I glance down at her grimoire to see it flipped open on a memory spell. Why does Nik need that?

Gloria spots my worried look and flips to another page. Well that's new. She usually explains the spell before hiding it. It's not like I can do magic anyways. I raise my eyebrows at her, while Gloria lets out a sigh.

"This one isn't for Klaus. It's a personal matter." she explains, gripping onto my hands. I let out a sigh of my own and send her a anxious smile.

"I'm just worried, Glo. It's not every day that you have two Originals and their groupie show up in the bar." I state, giving her hands a squeeze. "I don't know what I would do if anything did happen to you."

She sends me a calming smile and releases my hands. Gloria pulls me into a hug, and we stay in that position for a few more moments. Once we pull away, she looks me in the eyes with a soft smile plastered on her face.

"I'll be fine, Kai. Don't worry about me." Gloria replies, patting me on the shoulder. "Now go get some sleep. I know you've been on the road all day."

Well she's not wrong. Before I get a chance to object, she drags me over to the apartment stairs and pushes me up them. Gloria makes sure I walk up to our home and enter the apartment, before leaving for the bar. I really have missed her.

Surely enough, the home still looks the same. Nothing appears to have changed, except for my bedroom door being open. I walk into the room to find a few extra boxes of Gloria's items in the corner. I don't mind it much and lay down on the bed. As soon as my head hits the pillow, sleep takes over my senses.

~~~

I wake up a few hours later to a loud, banging sound coming from downstairs. I guess Gloria must have dropped some cleaning supplies in the bar. I climb out of bed and begin walking down the stairs. I can hear music playing from the jukebox, so she's probably cleaning.

I walk out to the bar to find most of the lights off. There's a few candles scattered throughout the room, but Gloria is nowhere to be found. Where in the hell is she?

"Gloria? Do you need any help?" I offer, cautiously making my way closer to the middle of the bar. "I might still be half awake, but I can try to clean."

As I make my way closer to the counter, I begin smelling a mixture of cleaning supplies and blood. I start glancing around the room to see if I can spot an unknown visitor, but no one is there. Where's Gloria?

I stalk closer to a group of candles, when I spot a figure on the ground. What happened here? Grabbing one of the lights, I hold it close to the person to see my worst nightmare.

Gloria...she's dead. Her throat was slashed open and face filled with fear. Tears begin streaming down my face, as I rapidly gasp for air. This can't be happening. This can't be happening. It hurts. It hurts so much.

Before I can calm myself down, I feel my emotions overload my senses. I just want this to be over. This is torture. All of a sudden, I feel like a switch flipped in my head, and I couldn't feel anything anymore. It almost has a calming nature.

I dry my tears, before cleaning up the mess around the bar. As I finish cleaning up the blood trail leading up to the counter, Nik rushes into the bar.

"Kailie, where's Gloria?" he questions, frowning at my sense of calmness. Nik must have smelled the blood, as he walked in. Must have missed some. Whoops!

"Well if you want the technical answer, she upstairs in the apartment. But I don't think she's going to be any more help for you." I explain nonchalantly, smirking at Nik's confused face. "She's dead."

Without warning, the Original speeds us over to a nearby wall and presses down onto my throat. It barely phases me, and I flip the situation.

"I thought we went over this earlier, Nik." I state, rolling my eyes at the vampire. Letting go of his throat, I walk back over to the bar and pour two glasses of whiskey. One for me and one for the annoying Original standing in front of me. He follows me with a bewildered expression on his face.

"How are you drinking alcohol at a time like this?" Nik interrogates me, waving his arms around. "Your friend, my favorite witch is now dead!"

Rolling my eyes, I push one of the filled glasses toward him and throw my head back to swallow my whiskey. When I notice he hasn't touched his, I shake my head.

"Well if you're not gonna drink the free alcohol, I'll happily take that off your hands." I respond, before taking his glass and drinking it. "I know why your hybrids are dying."

Nik's face pales, causing him to sit down on one of the stools. Now I've got his attention. Pouring myself some more whiskey, I begin my story.

"Do you recognize the name Mystic Falls?" I ask, earning a nod in reply. "Good. I just returned from there earlier today. And while I was there, I ran into my twin sister. You might know her. Elena Gilbert."

I see Nik tense up and become angry, so I hold up a hand to stop his outburst. I want to finish my story and alcohol first, before he tears up the bar.

"Well I know from an outside source that you recently turned into a hybrid. Good job for that, by the way. That spell must have been hard to accomplish. Anyways, I also learned that the doppelganger needed to die for the spell to work. Fully dead. And if Elena is still alive, I think that's a problem. Don't you think?" I tease him, pressing my hands down onto the counter.

Before I can say another word, Nik storms out of the bar, knocking over some tables on the way out. Well that was rude. Now I have more to clean up.

Once everything is exactly as it was this morning, I take Gloria's set of spare keys from the counter and exit the building. Locking the front door behind me, I climb back into my car and take off for Mystic Falls. I can't wait to see the aftermath of Nik's rage. It will be so much fun!

 It will be so much fun!