Chapter 1

Kailie's POV

By the time I make it to Mystic Falls, the sun is shining brightly in the sky, and the residents are scattered around the city. As I drive through downtown, I get curious looks from passersby, but I ignore them. In their defense, I haven't stepped foot in this town for three years, and I never thought that I would be back.

It doesn't take me long to locate the Lockwood mansion. It really hasn't changed much in the past three years. The last time I was here was during one of my sleepovers with Tyler about a week before I left. Since I really wasn't loved by my own family, the Lockwoods became my second. Mr. and Mrs. Lockwood treated me like their daughter, while Tyler acted like I was his little sister. 

After I pull into the driveway, I spot a familiar sight waiting for me on the front porch. He's leaning up against one of the columns and smiling down at me. I climb out of the car, and Tyler walks over to me. He opens his arms out for a hug, and I run into them. Man, I missed him. We stay like that for a moment, before breaking apart. 

"How've you been, Kai?" he asks, as I place my hands into my pockets. Well besides being an immortal, blood-sucking freak of nature...fine. I can't necessarily tell him that though. I have no idea if he knows about vampires.

"Well, I'm still alive, so...good I guess." I respond, keeping a smile plastered on my face. I don't want to make Tyler worry too much. When we were growing up, he could tell when I was upset by the look on my face. Tyler doesn't seem to realize I'm hiding something and gestures to my car.  

"Need any help?" he offers, after I pop open my trunk. Inside, there are three of my duffel bags filled to the brim with clothing and weapons. I nod and watch Tyler grab all of my belongings with one hand. It takes him a second to adjust to the added weight, since he clearly wasn't expecting the bags to be that heavy.

"What do you have in here? Rocks?" Tyler jokes, chuckling slightly to lighten the mood. I join in on the laughter and brush it off. 

Slamming my truck closed, I lock my car, and the two of us walk up to the front door of the mansion. Tyler uses his free hand to open the door and gestures for me to walk in. When I do, I'm almost tackled to the ground by two familiar people. 

"Well I see you've met the other half of the welcoming committee." Tyler pops up from behind the girls. "I'll let you guys talk, while I put your stuff in your room."

He leaves the three of us behind, while I pull back from the girls' hug. As I face both of them, I spot disappointed looks on their faces. In their defense, I never told them that I was leaving Mystic Falls. They had to find out from Tyler.

"What's up, guys?" I nervously greet them, rubbing the back of my neck. Caroline crosses her arms annoyed, while Bonnie shakes her head in disappointment. Uh oh.

"Really? That's all you have to say after being gone for three years?" Caroline starts off, her voice slightly raising in pitch. Bonnie tries to put her hand on our friend's shoulder, but Caroline brushes it off. Thankfully, before our blonde friend can scream at me more, Bonnie steps in.

"Where have you been, Kailie?" she gently questions me, sensing my apprehension. After a few seconds, I swallow and quickly respond to them.

"I've been in Chicago actually. I was staying with a family friend."

They both seemed pleased with my answer, causing me to relax. I don't know what else I could've told them. I can't exactly say that I'm a vampire who lives in isolation to control her bloodlust. Right after I tell them, Tyler decides to grace us with his presence again.

"Everything's up there. Go ahead and get settled in, and then we can go grab a bite to eat." he details, sending me a toothy grin. I smile back, before heading upstairs to my old room. 

Once I get there, I lightly push open the door and glance around the room. Besides the obviously updated bed, nothing else has changed. Everything is just the way I left it. Spotting my bags on the bed, I grab them and begin unpacking my clothing. 

After all of my clothing is dealt with, I throw my weapon-filled duffel bags into the closet. Definitely don't want Tyler to find those. That's a conversation I never want to have. 

Soon enough, I exit my old bedroom and descend the staircase to join my friends. They are huddled around the front door, waiting for me to finish. 

Once I join them, the four of us set off for lunch, and I have the feeling we're going to the Mystic Grill. Maybe because it's the only restaurant in this godforsaken town. And the best part of lunch is that I might see my bitchy twin sister. Just great.

 Just great