Chapter One- You are my Sunshine

Natsu's POV

Lucy's eyes were slowly shutting, all the color completely faded from her skin.

"L-Luce."

My voice cracked as her name rolled off my tongue, and tears streamed down my cheeks.

"Hey...don't cry."

Her voice was weak and scratchy, but it still sounded like music drifting through my ears. She wiped the tears away with a shaky hand, and gave me a weak smile.

"Don't go. Please. I love you."

"I love you too."

Her breaths were long and slow now, and I was scared each one she took would be her last.

"Natsu..."

"Yes?"

"I need...you to do something...for me."

"What is it?! Anything!"

"I need you...to let go once I'm gone."

My eyes widened at her words, and more tears fell.

"Don't say that! I'm never letting you go!"

"Natsu, please. Make sure...the kids are taken care of. Please don't spend the rest...of your life hung up on...me."

I could barely hear her anymore, and her eyes, were almost completely shut now.

"Wait, Lucy! Please!"

"I love you...Natsu."

A long sigh escaped her lips, and more tears streamed down my face now. A long beeping sound came from the heart monitor, catching my attention. The line was flat.

"No. No no no, please! Lucy, don't leave!"

Without thinking, I pressed my lips against hers, but they weren't warm like they used to be. They were cold, and almost empty feeling. The warm liquid stained her face now, and I stared at her lifeless body.

"But...I love you."

Gripping her hands in mine, I felt something poking my finger. It was her ring. It glistened in the light, and it seemed like I had just given this ring to her yesterday. All of the memories came back. Us meeting at the gas station. Going to her apartment for the first time. Getting her necklace back. Going to the dance with her, and kissing her for the first time. Asking her to be my girlfriend. Finding her at the manor. When she stopped me at the airport. Me asking her to marry me. The wedding. Going to the resort. When she had Nashi and Lucas. All of the birthday parties, dance recidals, and soccer games we went to with them. All of the times I would stand outside of their room, listening to Lucy sing them a song before bedtime. Watching her smile when she wasn't paying attention. Everything.

"Daddy?"

The sound of Nashi's voice shook me from my thoughts, and I turned to face them. Erza, Nashi, and Lucas stood in the doorway. Erza was crying, probably the only one knowing what happened.

"Daddy, is mommy okay?"

"When is she going to wake up?"

I continued staring, hoping all of this was a dream. Erza's voice cracked as she tried drying her tears, but failed.

"Mommy...Mommy isn't going to wake up."

My voice shook with each word, and their faces filled with fear.

"W-What?"

"Mommy...is dead."

Tears streamed downed their face as they jumped into my arms, and held onto me as tight as they could. When I opened my eyes, I seen everyone in the doorway, teary eyed. A doctor walked in and sighed, turning the monitor off.

"I'm sorry for your loss."

"Shut up!"

Lucas's voice filled the room shocking everyone. He hopped off my lap, and glared at the doctor, the wet liquid still running down his cheek.

"S-She's not dead! Mom is not dead! So just shut up! She's going to wake up, and hug us all! This...This is just a joke! That's it! A joke! She's just messing with all of us!"

He ran over and grabbed Lucy's hand, wiping tears away with the other.

"Come on, Mom! Jokes over now! You got us!...Mom, this isn't funny anymore! Get up!"

Nashi climbed down, and walked over to him, placing a hand on his shoulder.

"Lu-"

"Don't touch me!"

He slapped her hand away, making her cry more.

"Lucas, come on. She isn't joking. This is serious."

"Stop it! Stop it, all of you!"

He pushed past everyone, and ran down the hallway.

"Daddy, I wanna go home."

"Let's go home then."

I held my hand out to her, and she took it in her smaller one. Turning around one last time, I took in Lucy's lifeless features. Her skin and lips had no color, and her hair had lost its shine. Her chest wasn't moving along with her breaths anymore, making her entire body still. Tightening my grip on Nashi's hand, I left the room to go find Lucas, and take them home.
~~~

"Come on guys. Its time for bed."

Neither of them said anything, just stared at the ground and followed me into the bedroom. After climbing into bed, I gave them each a kiss on the for head.

"Will you sing the song Mommy used to sing?"

I stopped for a moment, and gave them a weak smile.

"Sure."

Grabbing the stool, I placed it in the middle of the room, and sighed.

"You are my sunshine, my only sunshine. You make me happy when sky's are gray. You'll never know, dear, how much I love you. So please don't take my sunshine away."

My breath hitched and I did my best to keep my tears in before moving on to the next verse.

"The other night, dear, as I lay sleeping. I dreamt I held you in my arms. You'll never know, dear, I was mistaken. So I hung my head, and cried."

Nashi sniffled, and Lucas's grip on his pillow tightened.

"You are my sunshine, my only sunshine. You make me happy when skies are gray. You'll never know, dear, how much I love you. Please don't take my sunshine away.

I'll always love you, and make you happy. If you will only say the same. But if you ever leave me, to love another, you'll regret it all one day."

I could feel my eyes watering up, but I ignored it and continued.

"You are my sunshine, my only sunshine. You make me happy when skies are gray. You'll never know, dear, how much I love you, so please don't take my sunshine away.

Please don't take...my sunshine away."

The last part came out as a whisper, and I couldn't stop the tears now.

"Its okay, Daddy."

I looked at Nashi who was fighting back her own tears with a smile.

"Mommy still loves you."

I gave them another quick kiss on the for head, and escaped into our- my room. As soon as I fell onto the bed, tears started flowing down my cheeks, faster and harder than ever.

"I miss you so much..."

Her scent was all over the pillows and blankets, making me push them to my face.

"Why'd you take my sunshine away?"

~~~

Great way to start a book, eh? The next chapter will be better, I promise.