Chapter 20

I heard a knock on my door and I turned away from my mirror and looked over at my brother. "Hey," He said, shoving his hands into the pockets of his suit. "Are you almost ready?"

I sighed and finished putting my earring on. "No, I'll never be ready to see my mom's corpse in a casket Jason." I mumbled.

He walked over to me and wrapped his arms around me. "Don't cry," He mumbled into my hair. "Not yet at least, please." He asked.

I sniffled but stopped myself, taking a couple of deep breaths and clearing my mind. "I don't think I can do it Jace." I mumbled into his shoulder.

"It's okay Kels, we're going to be okay. We have each other, and we have dad, Spencer, Joanna, and everyone else. We're going to get through this." He reassured me.

I shook my head and gritted my teeth. "I want the bastard dead." I said, my anger rising at the thought of Jake getting away with my mother's murder.

"Let's think rationally here Kelsey. I'm pretty sure him behind bars will do."

I shook my head and sat down on my bed. "If I hadn't of moved towards her she wouldn't of been in danger."

"Kelsey, it's not your fault."

"Really, it's not? If I hadn't of stormed off from Spencer and danced with Jake none of this would've happened!"

"He would've gotten to you another way!"

I let out a frustrated groan and pushed my hair out of my face. "I just hate that because of his name he can get away with it. No one actually saw him shoot her, everyone came after. How do we even prove he did it?" I asked.

"We'll find a way." Spencer said, leaning against the doorframe with his arms crossed over his chest. I looked up and saw the sorry expression on his face. "I can promise you that."

"Okay, we can't just go around shooting the kid. Either we do something sensible or do nothing at all." Jason said, his voice firm.

I rolled my eyes and stood up, grabbing my purse. "Jason, if you decide to do things the easy way, people are going to walk all over you." I said over my shoulder.

I saw him and Spencer exchange a look and I grabbed Spencer by his wrist. "Hello to you too princess."

I sighed and stopped, trying to calm myself. The more I thought about my mother's death, the more I thought about Jake. I was going to be attending her funeral in an hour. How the hell am I supposed to control my sadness and anger when I'm surrounded by a bunch of weeping people?

"I'm sorry." I mumbled.

He lifted my chin up and pressed his lips against mine so softly it almost felt like they weren't there. "Don't apologize; you have every right to be mad." He whispered, pressing his forehead against mine. "I love you baby."

I let him pull me closer to him and I furrowed myself into his arms. "I love you too."

~~~

"Bye sweetie, I'll call you tomorrow." My Aunt Vivian said, hugging me tightly.

I held her close to me and took in a deep breath, trying to calm myself. "Bye Aunt Viv, love you." I said as my Uncle Tom kissed the side of my head.

"Be strong kiddo. We'll be checking in on you soon." He said.

The said their goodbyes to Jason and everyone else and I sighed, dropping down on Spencer's lap as he took a drink from his water. "I hate people and their 'condolences'." I groaned into his shoulder.

He sighed and shifted underneath me before he began rubbing my back in soothing motions. "The worst is over with." He said before kissing me.

"Really? Because last time I checked my mother was ten feet under the ground and I'll never see her again. She won't be at my graduation, she won't be at my wedding, she won't be a grandma, and she won't see me grow up." I said flatly, just pushing all the feelings away.