Chapter 22

I dropped my plastic cup, causing the remains of my water and ice to spill all over my bare legs and toes. I let out a small squeal and looked up to see Spencer and his father looking at me.

I saw the coldness in Spencer’s eyes and realized he was looking at my legs. I was only in one of his t-shirts and my underwear. “I-I uh…”

“You should change.” Spencer said gruffly.

“I’ll, yeah I’ll be right back.” I mumbled, ignoring the mess and quickly scurrying off to the bedroom we were in earlier.

I quickly pulled on the white shorts I had on earlier and tied my hair up so it didn’t look as messy as before. I put on a pair of flip flops and stepped outside.

“I thought it was you. Little Kelsey, you’ve grown up so much!” Spencer’s dad said.

I tucked a loose wisp of hair back and cleared my throat. “It’s nice to see you Mr. Adams.” I said softly. I looked at Spencer and saw that he looked like he was about punch a wall.

“So,” He said, stuffing his hands in the pockets of his suit. He looked between the two of us and had a skeptical look on his face. “Are you two together? Last I remember you were constantly at each other’s throats.”

“Uh-“

“It’s none of your damn business.” Spencer cut me off.

He let out a light chuckle and nodded his head. “Guess I’ll just go off on intuition.”

I shut my eyes and let out a light sigh. “Do you want something to drink?” Spencer glared at me from behind his father and I nibbled on my lip.

“If there’s any whiskey I’ll take some.”

I nodded my head but Spencer walked towards me and stopped me. “Now what makes you think that I’d waste perfectly good whiskey on you?”

“The fact that I paid for it should be enough.”

“Just like you paid me off to stay away?”

“It’s for everyone’s own good son.”

“You have no damn right to call me your son.”

I looked at the floor and waited for his father to respond.

“Look, I get your upset with me-“

“Upset? You’re lucky I don’t bash your face in right now. Don’t worry; I won’t feel any remorse on beating up my old man.”

“Spencer, maybe you should ease up.” I said softly.

“No, he has every right to be upset.” His father said.

“What?” We asked in unison.

“I’ve been a terrible father. But I want you to know that everything I’ve done is for you.”

Spencer scoffed. “Right, because abandoning your son is always the solution.” He bit back.

“It is when people’s lives are at stake!”

“What the hell are you talking about?”

“I know what you’re up to, Spencer.”

“What exactly am I up to, Michael?”

“I know you’re in a gang and I know you’re in some pretty deep trouble.” He said casually, strolling into the kitchen. “I also know about your mother.” He said to me.

I felt myself stiffen but then relaxed when Spencer pulled me closer to him. “How do you know about that?” I asked.

“You see, my business exposes me to many different people.” Mr. Adams said, grabbing a bottle of scotch from the cabinet and pouring himself a drink.