Chapter 26

I sigh and go back to the bench, dropping my head into my hands.

“Adams!” I heard the guard call once again.

“What?” I snapped, looking up.

“Congratulations, someone bailed you out.” He said drily.

I felt my jaw drop a little and I stood up. “Thanks.” I said, tapping his shoulder and running out the door.

I looked around the parking lot, but Kelsey was nowhere to be found. I groaned and ran my hand through my hair, kicking a nearby car. The alarm went off and I saw people starting to step outside.

“Fucking hell!” I hissed, running out of the parking lot and making my way home.

~~~

I tipped my sunglasses further down the bridge of my nose and scanned the crowd of high school students for Kelsey. She was nowhere in sight until I spotted her loose curls bouncing as she talked to some guy.

I pulled my sunglasses off and leaned against the back of the school bus, waiting till she passed by.

I grabbed her by the arm and she grunted.

“Hey!” I said, clearing my throat from how high it went.

She turned around and raised an eyebrow at me. “What are you doing here?”

“I was wondering if we could talk?”

“Sorry, no time. Not all of the buses here are for you to lean against. Some of them have to drive kids home and I need to catch one.”

“I’ll drive you! I’ll even stop by your favorite diner.” I offered as she walked away.

She stopped and turned around, adjusting her backpack. “Yeah?”

I stuffed my hands in my pockets and nodded, rocking back and forth on my heels. “I owe you.”

She thought about it and shrugged. “I want a milkshake.” She said, walking towards the cars.

I thanked the lord Jesus and followed after her, quickly making my way to my car.

~~~

“So, you mind telling me who you were fighting?” She asks, sitting across from me and sipping her chocolate milkshake.

“That depends, are you gonna eat all those fries?” I asked, eyeing her plate of curly fries.

She breathed a laugh and looked away. “Go ahead.”

I laughed softly and took a fry, dipping it in her milkshake and stuffing it into my mouth.

“Hey!” She protested. “My milkshake.” She grumbled.

I smirked and shrugged. “My food isn’t ready yet, what can I say?”

“How about you answer my question instead?”

I sighed and crossed my arms over my chest as I looked at my surroundings. We were in a diner and only a few people were scattered around us. “I got into a fight with some prick.”  I finally said.

“Who was the prick?”

“I… He was some guy that I had uh, done some business with before.” I said softly.

“What did you do to him that he wanted to fight you?”

I glared at her and she gave me an expectant look. I groaned and uncrossed my arms. “I shot him.” I mumbled.

“I’m sorry, what was that?”

“I said I fucking shot him. “ I said a little louder.

Her mouth dropped open as the waitress appeared with my food. I muttered thanks and dug into my burger, hoping Kelsey would stay frozen so I don’t have to hear what she has to say.