Chapter 28

“Well?” Kelsey shouted for the third time.

“Why don’t you calm down first?” I asked, taking a step towards her. She raised her hand as if she was going to slap me and I stepped back, holding my hands up in surrender. “Or you can go around threatening to slap me. Whatever works for you.” I said.

“I don’t think jokes are going to help you, bro.” Jason mumbled.

I glared at him. “I wouldn’t need fucking help if it weren’t for you and your stupid big mouth!” I shouted.

“Hey, you’re the one who wouldn’t-“

“Shut up!” Kelsey shouted, stomping her foot. “Shut the hell up!”

I sighed and pinched the bridge of my nose, trying to calm myself and even my breathing. “Let’s go inside.” I said, brushing past her and unlocking the front door.

I dropped my things on the table and turned on the lights, trying to buy myself some time before having to explain myself to Kelsey.

“What the hell were you two doing at the party?” She questioned, kicking her heels off and sitting down on one of the stools in front of the kitchen island.

“Jason, why don’t you answer your sister?” I asked drily.

Jason gave her a sheepish grin and rubbed the nape of his neck. “Well, I may have overheard your conversation with Hayley and overreacted.” I scoffed and he glared at me before continuing. “So I convinced Spencer into going to the masquerade with me so we could spy on you. No big deal.”

I loosened my tie and sighed as I saw the angry look on Kelsey’s face. “Five, four, three, two,” Jason glared at me and once I said “one.” Kelsey leaned forward and smacked Jason repeatedly with her purse on the back of his head.

“How the hell could you do that? I’ve been to a fucking party before! What the hell possessed you to think that I would be stupid at the party?” She shouted.

“I don’t know! I just heard how she wanted you to get with someone. Besides, ever since you two broke up, you’ve been acting crazy!” Jason defended.

I felt my body stiffen and I glared at Jason for bringing our relationship up.

Kelsey let out a frustrated groan. “Jason, I’m going to say this as nicely as I possibly can. Back the fuck off. I’m not a little kid. You haven’t done this before, so I’m really hoping you won’t do it now.” She said strictly.

“Fine, I won’t be a crazy brother.” He grumbled, holding his hands up in surrender.

“As for you, who the hell is Mikayla and why on earth did you not try to talk him out of his horrible idea.”

I opened my mouth to say something but then clamped it shut. I eyed Jason and he widened his eyes. “What? I already know everything.”

I sighed and ran a hand over my face, feeling the weariness take over my body. “Let’s talk upstairs.”

“Spencer I-“

“Either you follow me, or I’m going to bed and your questions will be unanswered.” I said simply.

Without waiting for her reaction I made my way upstairs and stepped into my bedroom. I took clothes off and wrapped a towel around my waist, heading for my bathroom. Before I could shut the door I felt Kelsey push on it.

“You told me to come up here so I did. Why the hell are you getting into the shower?” She asked.

I sighed and held up a hand. “Five minutes, I just gotta wrap my head around this before I try to explain it to you.”